ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Hayden Biegel update

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2015/11/27/FB_1127153826.aspx

His younger brother has reached the end of that road. Hayden Biegel, a redshirt sophomore, started the first four games of the season at right offensive tackle before running into concussion issues.

"He has always had football in his life with our family," Vince Biegel said.

Their grandfather, Ken, was a Hall of Fame high school coach at Wisconsin Rapids. Their uncle, T.J., played at BYU. And so did their father, Rocky, one of the all-time leading tacklers with the Cougars.

"Hayden has really gone through a lot," Vince Biegel said. "He always had a love for the game and it's always hard when your career is cut short in an aspect.

"Right now, Hayden is going through the process of transitioning from being a college football player and athlete to being a student and everyday person. He has a really bright future because there's so much more to Hayden than just being a football player. That can be said for a lot of guys on this team.

"It really puts things into perspective, though. I definitely did some self-reflecting when he went down. You are just one play away -- one play away from your career being over.

"That really make me value the game that much more. I have a true love for the game. I always have. It has always been a big part of my life and it will continue to be a big part of my life."

Vince and Hayden Biegel lived together for one year on campus. They looked out for each other. For the last three years, Vince Biegel has been rooming with defensive lineman Arthur Goldberg.

It's somewhat of an odd pairing given that Biegel is an avowed Cheesehead and a diehard fan of the Green Bay Packers, and Goldberg is from Pittsburgh Steelers country (Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania.)

"We just took a liking to each other," Biegel said. "Goldberg is a clean guy and that might surprise a lot of people because he looks more like … I don't want to bag on him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News