ADVERTISEMENT

Here were the calls

wagers

Sep 8, 2001
Glad the poor officiating was addressed by Reggie Miller, but when he said it didn't cost the game I beg to differ.

Just these calls alone in 2nd half:

- Winslow out of control barrels into the defense and gets the call given to him (2pts)
- Winslow out of control again along the baseline, steps on the line, travels (no call), passes to Okafor for a basket (2pts)
- Koenig plays perfect defense on Jones, Jones throws should/elbow to his face and gets an 'and one' attempt. He missed the free throw so cost (2pts)
- Kaminsky spins into the lane twice and gets fouled by Okafor's sub (not sure of his name even).....no call (4pts)
- Refs have video evidence of a ball going off Winslow. They still give it to Duke. It cost a key possession with 1:57 to play.

Here are the officials: Joe DeRosa, Michael Stephans, Pat Driscoll

This post was edited on 4/7 9:05 AM by wagers

Originally posted by wagers:
Glad the poor officiating was addressed by Reggie Miller, but when he said it didn't cost the game I beg to differ.

- Winslow out of control barrels into the defense and gets the call given to him (2pts)
- Winslow out of control again along the baseline, steps on the line, travels (no call), passes to Okafor for a basket (2pts)
- Koenig plays perfect defense on Jones, Jones throws should/elbow to his face and gets an 'and one' attempt. He missed the free throw so cost (2pts)
- Kaminsky spins into the lane twice and gets fouled by Okafor's sub (not sure of his name even).....no call (4pts)
- Refs have video evidence of a ball going off Winslow. They still give it to Duke. It cost a key possession with 1:57 to play.

You missed one - a few plays after the Dukan "block" travesty, Winslow is fouled by a Badger near the basket in the act of shooting,. He gets the and-one, three points total. The only problem is that he traveled big-time, taking not two or three but five steps before he was fouled.

Hawkeye fan here. I think you guys still could have won the game, but the officiating was very one-sided in the last ten or so minutes of the gam, and not in the Badgers favor.

Still - you should be proud. Great year - congrats.

Reactions: badger-007
Originally posted by dandh:
Originally posted by wagers:

You missed one - a few plays after the Dukan "block" travesty, Winslow is fouled by a Badger near the basket in the act of shooting,. He gets the and-one, three points total. The only problem is that he traveled big-time, taking not two or three but five steps before he was fouled.

Hawkeye fan here. I think you guys still could have won the game, but the officiating was very one-sided in the last ten or so minutes of the gam, and not in the Badgers favor.

Still - you should be proud. Great year - congrats.
That's very nice and I'm sure well appreciated by all Badger fans.

You forgot Frank mauling Jah under 3 minutes to go (intentionally). You also fail to realize that the refs do not have access to the 3 TV camera angles and HD picture. Tyus drew body contact on his drives, over-and-over again, yet the UW players didn't pick up on it (hence the reason they say to aim for the numbers when you drive - initiate contact). To cap off your idiocy above you say you saw the play SO CLOSELY, yet you don't even know that JEFFERSON was guarding Frank. Comical.
laugh.r191677.gif

You can fool yourself all you want, the entire planet saw a change in the way the game was called later part of the second half, to deny that is to deny reality.
You may think it didn't matter, Badger team was gassed after a crazy long season and very tough schedule to get there, sone thing else the powers to be manipulated but the officiating was one-sided often by no calls at the end.
Rewatch the game and watch Dukan called for a block when he clearly had the offensive foul and a few seconds later the same Dukan get called on the other side for an offensive foul when the kid 8 inches shorter got stuck on him, blatant.

Reactions: badger-007
Which is fine! You can make that argument! However, by doing so, by logic you must then admit that the officiating in the first half was equally lopsided! Thats how logic works.

The charge taken by Jones was really no different than the charge taken by Kaminsky against Okafor in the first half. Both took advantage of offensive players who had lowered their shoulder.

Just face facts that Wisconsin was beat by a better team who made bigger plays down the stretch. This really was an incredibly Wisconsin team, I take nothing away from them. They had height and athleticism (somewhat) and the were a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams. Duke just made bigger plays in crucial times.

Let me some it up for you Lefty.

Officials missed calls on both teams and it sucks. Duke fans get angry when a call is missed that hurts us as well, and despite what you think, it happens more often than you think. Just like the Tar Heels have done all season, the Badgers let momentum and a 9-point lead slip away and it cost them a game. Unfortunately, this one was in the big game.

Maybe you should point to Dekkar's TWO air-balls or the inability to contain our guards on dribble-penetration as to why you lost but don't be like most sore losers and blame the refs. That's what I always knew was the UNC way... no the Badger way.

As for Bo Ryan and his comments, he can eat shit. I don't think for one second that we run a "rent-a-player" system like he implied. Keep in mind that a player has the choice to declare or stay. And while most would think that Okafor especially is a one-and-done player, what would be said if he shocked the world and returned? Remember, he has that option. Coaches recruit the best players, want the best players, and ideally want those players for 4 years, Ideally. Just because "holier than thou" Bo didn't WIN those players, doesn't mean he should take jabs at those that did. Maybe he should just learn to recruit.

I blame the schedule maker as much as the REFS, the entire tourney was designed to give Duke an easy walk to the Finals, probably against Kentucky.

Wisconsin should have been the #1 seed of the Midwest, instead we ran a gauntlet of Oregon, North Carolina, Arizona, Kentucky & Duke.

Arguably, Zona, Kentucky, DIke and Wisconsin were the four best teams.

Who'd you beat? Gonzaga?

The first half was called fairly and by the way, quite often when a Ref wants to screw you, he gives you first half so he can Fk you later when it counts, that's an old trick, Mende Rudolph invented that one 40 years ago.

The first half was called fairly? Why? Because the foul count was 8-2 in favor of Wisconsin??! LOL What a joke.

Your logic has become really skewed.

I did. And I have. Many times.

Duke makes bigger plays down the stretch. Wisconsin misses shots.

Pretty much sums it up.

You speak about making plays. Wisconsin made plays (had correct defensive position on two clear plays) and both were given to Duke.

Also, Winslow was in choke mode and was trying to blow the game for you, but was somehow given three life rafts by the officials:
- charged into UW defenders but was given two free throws
- stepped on line, travelled and made the pass to Okafor
- ball off his hands

-Dekker move to the basket against Winslow, clearly travels after taking 3-4 steps. No call. Results in a layup (and him taunting Winslow as he stared at him)

-Okafor clearly strips Kaminsky for his third foul, results in 2 FTs and 2 pts for Wisconsin.
-Winslow's 2nd foul in the first half where he clearly strips the ball clean among players. Causes him to effectively sit for the rest of the 1st half.
-Kaminsky mauls (bear hugs) Okafor, making no basketball-related play, with no intentional foul called. Could have resulted in 2 more FTs and possession which really would have salted the game away.

See....for all your examples, I can provide you with one, as well.

Just face it, Duke made bigger and better plays down the stretch. With a 9 pt lead and Duke's two best players on the floor, Wisconsin allowed Grayson Allen to take over. Nigel Hayes blows a bunny. Jefferson clamps down on Kaminsky.

For the record, I will be purchasing my "You mad, Bo" hoodie today :)

Originally posted by bshrader1:
-Dekker move to the basket against Winslow, clearly travels after taking 3-4 steps. No call. Results in a layup (and him taunting Winslow as he stared at him)

-Okafor clearly strips Kaminsky for his third foul, results in 2 FTs and 2 pts for Wisconsin.
-Winslow's 2nd foul in the first half where he clearly strips the ball clean among players. Causes him to effectively sit for the rest of the 1st half.
-Kaminsky mauls (bear hugs) Okafor, making no basketball-related play, with no intentional foul called. Could have resulted in 2 more FTs and possession which really would have salted the game away.

See....for all your examples, I can provide you with one, as well.

Just face it, Duke made bigger and better plays down the stretch. With a 9 pt lead and Duke's two best players on the floor, Wisconsin allowed Grayson Allen to take over. Nigel Hayes blows a bunny. Jefferson clamps down on Kaminsky.

For the record, I will be purchasing my "You mad, Bo" hoodie today :)
I stopped after the first lie.

I watched it last night and watched Dekkers feet, on the play the announcer thought he walked, they showed the replay, nowhere close to a walk, never lifted his pivot foot.
Even that old fool from Seton Hall shut up when he watched it.

First it was the refs. Now? Tired legs. You can't make this stuff up. Oh, and you do realize that one of the benfits of good guard play is driving, attacking, and drawing fouls?

Good season Badgers.

Since this conversation is being taken to the gutter, it was a pleasure to watch Winslow be made Hayes's bitch as he laid on the floor.

Dude, you simply arent watching the same replay as the rest of America. Hard to debate points when we just arent on the same playing field. He clearly took 3 little steps. It was a travel. But whatever.

Any comments on Kaminsky's bear hug on Okafor?

This is written by a Spartan alum. I am not a conference rah rah, so I don't have a dog in the fight. My game thoughts are that the officiating was god awful in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Below is a link to the entire game. Click on the game link below, then wait around 10 seconds, be patient, it is loading, then click "Watch Full Game Replay"

http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/game/701

I would like to steer your attention to the following exhibits for discussion purposes.

Exhibit 1 - 9:07 remaining in the game - Did Winslow get away with a charge?

Exhibit 2 - 7:29 remaining in the game - Did Jones flop, knowing that he was undersized being 6 ft 1 against Dukon 6 ft 8?

Exhibit 3 - 6:26 remaining in the game - Was Kaminsky pulled to the ground?

Exhibit 4 - 5:56 remaining in the game - Did Winslow get away with a charge?

Exhibit 5 - 5:34 remaining in the game - Did Allen use his left arm to create separation from Gasser? (Fast forward to 3:22 remaining in the game when CBS shows their "Impact Performance" and they show replays of his drive to the hoop against Gasser.

Exhibit 6 - 3:23 remaining in the game - Did Allen lose the ball out of bounds with out it being touched by a Badger?

Exhibit 7 - 3:21 remaining in the game - Did Winlsow step out of bounds?

Exhibit 8 - 3:19 remaining in the game - Did Winslow travel?

Exhibit 9 - 1:51 remaining in the game - Did Winslow last touch the ball?

The correct answer to all the exhibits is "Yes".

Please understand the source of such non-sense. A Michigan State alum...again, a team that Duke had just destroyed, who happens to share a conference with said national runner-up.

Here is Okafor's third foul:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/06/duke-wisconsin-jahlil-okafor-third-foul-video

This appear to be a foul to you?

UW fans can bitch about it for weeks. I know that Winslow stepped out of bounds. I'm pretty sure he touched the ball and it should have been UW's ball. I seen everything that every UW fan seen.... for the entire game. I'm glad that now there is visual evidence on this board that can't be disputed. I honestly hate that UW didn't get the ball either time because I want to see as fair a game as possible.

But let's cut it clean here... refs miss calls. They always have and.... *NEWSFLASH*..... always will. UW is doing more bitching that Cowboys fans did after Dez Bryant caught the ball, didn't catch the ball, or whatever happened. In the end, nothing changed. Cowboys were still eliminated and Duke is still the National Champs.

My point is it happens. It always will and it won't always benefit your team. You can't blame the refs for "losing a team the game". If you look at the whole of it, Duke won the game and Wisconsin lost it. The refs were equally bad towards both teams and I hate that as much as Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminski, Bo Ryan, and the UW fan base does.

But it went both ways. And while the media has the two Winslow issues being the prime targets because of where they happened in the game, there were several calls that went against Duke that had us shaking our heads. Vent if you need to but understand that Duke gear is being sold right now and Wisconsin gear is on it's way out of the USA. Nothing can be said or done to change that fact.

Grayson was starting 30 ft from the basket on his drives. Bo should have been more interested having a player take a charge instead of bitching about calls. Duke look like they wanted it more and were the aggressor.

Shot clock violation against UK was the biggest missed call of the FF...look Wisconsin was not stopping Duke at all...Duke had better athletes and it showed down the stretch...great season,but the better team won period
...duke locked down on d

how about SD hitting a jump shot...that would have helped

9 point lead with 2(top 5) first round picks on the bench(Winslow and Okafor) and UW let a talented ,but not a star at this point Grayson Allen score 8 straight points(running the same play) and Duke takes the lead during that span...hey UW look in the mirror...you had a chance to put them away and failed
...should not have came down to a tipped ball out of bounds and at that point still down 5 ... UW not exactly scoring on many possesions...SD was off and could not drive to the rack due to the great Duke D...also had a chance with Okafor and Winslow on the bench to end the half and let Duke tie the game...complain if it makes everyone feel better this game was lost when GA took over on the drives to the rack and Tyus Jones pick and roll and pick and pop field day...too much speed and athletes...UW great season ...great team

Also not shown is Jones elbow/shoulder into Koenig to create an 'and one' play. No way that should have been a foul on Koenig. At worst a no call, and should have been an offensive foul.

This tournament was set up for duke to win from the get go. Vegas made the rules. They weren't going to let Kentucky beat the Badgers and they weren't going to let the Badgers beat duke,that's the bottom line. Vegas Won

Originally posted by bshrader1:
Please understand the source of such non-sense. A Michigan State alum...again, a team that Duke had just destroyed, who happens to share a conference with said national runner-up.

Here is Okafor's third foul:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/06/duke-wisconsin-jahlil-okafor-third-foul-video

This appear to be a foul to you?
Yes. Did you see the contact on Kaminsky's left shoulder right before the strip? Okafor was leaning in with his chest. Of course, he innocently backs away after committing the foul. Sneaky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT