ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Day 1

John Veldhuis

Aug 21, 2011
Hey all,

I'll have a more detailed practice report up by tomorrow morning, but I figured I'd share a few things.

-- First of all, Chryst said after practice that Stave is the team's starting QB. There's obviously going to be competition, but Stave will take the first team reps, with Bart and DJ splitting the twos. The incoming freshmen will get what's left.

That said, I thought Bart and DJ threw the ball better today than they did last spring. I was particularly impressed with D.J.'s deeper throws today, but overall I still think Stave is the clear starter.

Hornibrook and Kafentzis also had their moments today. I think Hornibrook threw better than Kafentzis today, but Austin finished the practice better than he started.

-- Jaden Gault is only focusing on school for the moment. Still on the roster, but not doing anything football related right now.

-- Austin Hudson was not at practice today. Waiting to get the "official" official spring roster (hopefully next practice, since all of the athletic comm staff was down in Chicago) but I'm thinking he's either not on the team or rehabbing his wrist. Stay tuned.

-- Tanner McEvoy has indeed moved to S, and Chryst said after practice that they will take a look at him as a WR too. No QB work.

-- Natrell Jamerson has also moved from WR to CB, and Connor Senger has moved from QB to WR. A.J. Jordan is also back at WR.

With the team not doing team drills or skelly drills today it was hard to get a good sense for a few other potential moves (Garret Dooley spent a lot of time with linebackers during fundamental work today), so some other moves will become clearer in the next few practices.

-- Jordan Fredrick, Aidan McNamara and Eric Steffes did not practice today but they did attend.

-- Like I mentioned above, the team didn't do any team drills or skelly drills today. But I did manage to sketch out what looks like the first team offensive line and front seven:

Marz - Ball - Voltz - Dieter - Biegel on the offensive line

and Obasih - Goldberg - Keefer on the defensive line

I also had Schobert - Edwards - Jacobs - Biegel at linebacker.

This post was edited on 3/15 8:14 PM by John Veldhuis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News