ADVERTISEMENT

Greetings all!

LSUwiggz

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I don't know how active this board is but I'm hoping it heats up as game time approaches. Let me know if anyone has any questions about LSU's team this year, position-wise or with regards to expectations.

This is why Iowa fans earn my respect. Those guys over there talk football all year around.

We're not going to want to talk we've smoked you. We'll move on that quick.

No offense, but the fact that the site which supports the premium board host a free board, seems to give an indication that they are willing to facilitate conversations between fans who may not be members of their premium board.

I think that's a pretty wise decision on their part, so long as the people comport themselves as gentlemen (or ladies as the case may be)

Now the fact that you don't willing to participate on that open board in any other manner than to suggest that you are only willing to discuss the game on a premium board is a bit petulant.

I live in Houston and could provide some suggestions on good place to stay, eat, drink, etc., if some members of your fan base were interested.

But I'm not going to pay for the privilege.

How's the DL line looking after the injuries?

How have the freshman WR, RB and QB looked so far in camp?

What's LSU's biggest strength and weakness going into the game?

Originally posted by Memorial Tiger:

I think that's a pretty wise decision on their part, so long as the people comport themselves as gentlemen (or ladies as the case may be)

Now the fact that you don't willing to participate on that open board in any other manner than to suggest that you are only willing to discuss the game on a premium board is a bit petulant.
Herein lies the problem. Fans of other teams do not behave in a mature manner on the free board. It's mostly filled with trolls who only want to brag about how great their team is and how they're faster and more talented than the Badgers. What's the point? If you think unwillingness to feed the trolls is a sign of petulance, you haven't a clue.

D-Line injuries are not significant and everyone is expected to contribute against Wisconsin.

CLM is being very tight lipped as to how the offense is performing. We had a scrimmage today and from what I understand the OL and RBs are going to be very difficult to stop. I'm also hearing it going to be difficult keeping L. Fournette off the field. Passing game looked okay, but this sort of talk is typical of LSU's offense before the season.

I think our biggest strengths will be the defense. I understand they are ahead of the offense. It's still too early to really tell what our strengths and weakness are as CLM has closed practice and only gives verbal update of the scrimmages. Even then he doesn't really provide stats. It more like the qbs had a good day, rbs ran hard, offense and defense made plays.

How about you guys? I'm hearing you all are going away from the traditional power running game and moving more to the spread option. I don't understand why with those two stud rbs you have.

Originally posted by sullybear1212:

Defensive line:
We lost one promising true freshman DT to a season-ending injury and have another highly-touted newcomer being held up by the Clearinghouse at present. In addition, one of our starters at DT suffered an injured bicep and, after considering surgery it was determined that wasn't necessary. Its being kept pretty hush-hush but no one expects him to be a significant factor in the Wisconsin game. Our starters for the game is expected to be SDE Rasco (Sr) and WDE Hunter (Jr) - both should be drafted next season but Hunter is going to be an absolute breakout star this year. Potential first-rounder. Starting at DT will be out lone player at that position with any real experience, true Sophomore Christian LaCouture and 5* RS freshman Frank Herron. After those starters we know who's going to provide depth but there hasn't been enough PT for us to develop legitimate expectations.

Freshman WR's:
Three of our top four WR's this year look to be true freshmen. Our lone returning 'veteran' will be Travin Dural and after him the true freshmen have already surpassed returning players. 5* Malachi Dupre has been nursing a hamstring tweak but is expected to be fine for the game. National record holder Trey Quinn apparently sparkled in this past scrimmage against a very, very good secondary and speedster DJ Chark will likely be our starting punt returner and 4th or 5th best WR with Avery Johnson (Patrick Peterson's little brother) also on the mix.

Freshman RB's:
Leonard Fournette is what he is, a HS player who's been drawing comparisons to Adrian Peterson since his sophomore year in HS. Word is that he's looked good - big, fast, elusive, strong - but there are still seniors who are going to get carries, especially early on in the season. Our other freshman RB, Williams, is very promising as well and should not RS this year.

Freshman QB's:
Its sounding like our 'veteran' QB (whom has all of one start in his career last year in a pedestrian outing against Iowa - noticing a theme here?) will be the starter against Wisconsin. LSU fans are eager to see what true freshmen Harris can do, but while he has greater upside, his command of the offense, his ability to read defenses and other things one would expect to come in time will keep him from starting just yet. Look for him to see time in every game though.

Strengths/Weaknesses:
With inexperienced QB's and inexperienced WR's, no matter how talented they may be, our passing game is very, very clearly our biggest potential weakness. Our greatest strength is either our OL or, depending who you ask, our back seven on defense. Its kind of an embarrassment of riches back there, though many have yet to have an opportunity to make a name for themselves.

With our lack of proven depth at DT just now and Chavis' history of absolutely shutting down prolific spread offenses, this would be the worst game to try an go away from what you guys are known for - in my opinion, at least.

Anything else in particular that you're curious about?

This post was edited on 8/16 8:06 PM by LSUwiggz

Originally posted by uwrx95:

Originally posted by Memorial Tiger:

Herein lies the problem. Fans of other teams do not behave in a mature manner on the free board. It's mostly filled with trolls who only want to brag about how great their team is and how they're faster and more talented than the Badgers. What's the point? If you think unwillingness to feed the trolls is a sign of petulance, you haven't a clue.
And yet I don't see a single Tiger fan trolling, a single Tiger fan behaving immaturely or bragging about a single thing. What I DO see are a number of LSU fans trying to talk football and a lone Wisky fan trying to bait them into behaving in the manner he's already decided they will.

We're anticipating football here - not looking to get into some sort of pissing contest. Ironically, if you had simply responded in the same manner you were queried, you'd already have had several mature, football-related discussions going on instead of just showing your ass to visiting fans because you're so very sure they were going to first.

Congrats - you win.

Can we talk football now?

Originally posted by Fanatic4LSU:
D-Line injuries are not significant and everyone is expected to contribute against Wisconsin.

CLM is being very tight lipped as to how the offense is performing. We had a scrimmage today and from what I understand the OL and RBs are going to be very difficult to stop. I'm also hearing it going to be difficult keeping L. Fournette off the field. Passing game looked okay, but this sort of talk is typical of LSU's offense before the season.

I think our biggest strengths will be the defense. I understand they are ahead of the offense. It's still too early to really tell what our strengths and weakness are as CLM has closed practice and only gives verbal update of the scrimmages. Even then he doesn't really provide stats. It more like the qbs had a good day, rbs ran hard, offense and defense made plays.

How about you guys? I'm hearing you all are going away from the traditional power running game and moving more to the spread option. I don't understand why with those two stud rbs you have.
Not going completely away. There will be some option, but I can't see it being more than 2-5 plays a game. Coaches have said they want defenses to worry about as many different things as possible, so I think the "option" stuff is being blown up to give defenses, particulary LSU, something else to think about. With Stave, who will most likely be the starter, he's not the most fleet of foot so I see very little option with him, BUT the coaches have said that two QB's could play and most think that is likely. With McEvoy, who is quick and runs well, they would probably be more inclined to run more option. We'll see.

Offense- Strengths will RB and OL. Gordon is a beast and Corey Clement, the back up, is pretty good as well. Watt, FB, is a good blocker. OL returns 5 guys that have started multiple games. WR's will be a question mark. Three true freshman will more than likely be heading down to Houston and all should play. Reggie Love, SO, has been playing well in camp and should get some reps as well. Really don't know what to think since the returning WR's, Doe-SR and Frederick-JR, never had much success in the past. TE's will be a strength, lots of depth. But it all comes down to QB. If Stave plays well, we have a chance, if not, it could be a long night. Last year against South Carolina, we were going toe to toe with them until Stave's injury and we then we became one dimensional and we were done. Looking forward to seeing our OL and RB's go up against your DL and LB's. We really need the WR's to make some plays and help out Stave if we want a chance.

Defense- Front 7 lost 6 of 7 starters, but most guys replacing them played last year (5 out of the 6). It's the 2nd year in the 3-4 and everyone is interested to see how the "smaller" DL stands up against strong running teams, like LSU. NT, Herring is a good player who really needs to step up. Coaches called out the back up NT's earlier in camp and they have, according to the coaches, responded. We'll see. As of now, our only returning starter, ILB Derek Landisch, is hurt and isn't practicing. Coaches said they'd be shocked if he didn't play against LSU, if he doesn't? Yikes. OLB should be a strength. Vince Biegel, SO, is a freak athlete and Joe Schobert, SO, is all over the place. DE's are unknown. One should be Chikwe Obasih, RS-FR, who is supposed to be having a good camp. Other is Konrad Zagzebski, SR. Sort of a unknown as of now. Secondary was a weakness last but could be a strength this year. 3 starters return. Sojourn Shelton, SO, started as a true freshman last year and people expect big things from him. Is short, 5'8 or so. Other CB is Darius Hillary. He struggled at times last year and we really need him to step up this year. Safety is hit or miss. One is Mike Caputo who may be the heart and soul of the defense. He does so many different things and no one realized how valuable he was until he was out for the Penn St game. Other safety spot is up in the air. Could be a true freshman Lubern Figaro but could be a few others that have injuries.

Also, our DC has said he wants to use a lot of different groupings and arraignments so I expect a lot of substitutions and lots of different guys playing on defense. 2nd year in his 3-4 system and he has more of "his" players so everyone is interested to see what he does.

Very possible - likely even - that at some point in the game we'll have true freshmen in at QB, RB and both WR positions all at the same time. That's just insane.

Still, considering who those freshmen are...

This post was edited on 8/19 7:37 PM by LSUwiggz

As someone who used to pay and now occasionally visits the Open Board, all you need to do is scroll through some of the garbage posted on here before and after the Final Four. There is usually very little moderation or removal of spam, and in the summer there are other things going on besides whatever is happening at UW. This board is active from the time football starts in the fall through a week or so after the basketball teams exits the tourny in the spring. I can't speak for all the fans on BadgerBlitz, but I would be willing to bet the attitude towards recruiting is quite different between Wisconsin and LSU. Wisconsin usually recruits guys who don't garner the same national attention some of the LSU recruits do.

Personally, I have no interest in who we recruit, the number of stars behind their name, what they say in articles, or what their edited highlight clips look like. The only way I would know of kid UW is recruiting would be if they committed, or in rare cases, that the recruit happened to live nearby, which has only happened once in the last 5 years. That might give you an indication as to why this board is so quiet. Even as NSD approaches there is very little chatter in regards to recruits on this board. At that point Big Ten basketball has gotten underway and the focus has shifted away from football.

In regards to this game I am sure it will be a similar match up UW saw against South Carolina. A fast, athletic team versus the power game UW plays. Wisconsin needs to get more from the QB or I don't see this being much of a game even though LSU is working in new guys up front. Defensively, UW lost some leadership with Borland and their secondary was embarrassing in the bowl game despite showing improvement throughout the season. I believe UW has the best coaching staff they have had in quite some time, so I am curious to see what types of improvements are made, particularly in the secondary, wide receivers, and of course QB.

I would expect LSU to win, but I have been wrong before. Let's hope for an entertaining and injury free game.

Also, I'm looking forward to you guys hamming Bretty B again this year.

Originally posted by sullybear1212:

The injury to Thomas stings but it seems to be less severe than initially expected. Lacouture has come on but, it's practice and you're always worried about how that translates to the game. The key, IMO will be for LSU to find some guys to hold the middle at the DT spots. This has traditionally been an area of strength but a series of early departures has eroded a lot of depth up front. And the middle of the DL is my chief concern as a Tiger fan.

The freshman WRs have been pretty strong so far, but as is always the case need to be a little more precise with route running. Lots of looseness in the routes is something you can get away with in HS that is deadly in college. Dupree is the best of the freshmen WR and would almost certainly be in the starting lineup but not for a hamstring strain that has slowed him down in practice.

Fournette's going to be a beast in college but he's going to have a learning curve with things like adjusting to the speed of the game, blocking schemes, and ball security. That's going to be something of a concern in the first few games of his career, but McGee is gutsy experienced RB that can make a missed tackle a painful mistake for a defense. The most interesting development has been the re-emergence of Kenny Hilliard. He had been shuffled to the bottom of the depth chart but seems to have come into camp with a renewed fire, which is good because a few years ago, he was a very good power back.

The QBs remain a mystery. Harris is good but if I had to guess, Jennings is more likely to get the start. That's just a gut feeling based on how Miles defers close decisions to the more senior players, even if that means deferring to a guy with a little over a game of college football experience.

Strengths - Solid mostly experienced offensive line with some depth. Very strong 2 deep of linebackers and DBs. The return game.

Weaknesses - Inexperience at QB and wide receiver which would give us trouble in a catch up situation. Interior DL has some quality but questionable depth. Could be deadly against a line as good as Wisconsin with a commitment to the run. New kickers and a new STs coach so that's an unknown.

Also, I'm looking forward to you guys hamming Bretty B again this year.

I'm guessing you meant hammering but oddly enough "hamming" him works quite well considering the mascot of his new school.

Personally I think you got the better end of that exchange with Anderson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT