ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland game review.

LeftyLarry

Nov 11, 2003
Overall, a solid performance, Maryland had some explosive players on offense that we shutdown pretty good.

OL: I've not been a huge believer in Benschwael last few years but kid is improving dramatically.
The entire OL blocked very well in the passing game but BB not only has improved there but blocks better in the run game also.Doesnt get great push but opens up lanes with blocking angles and his sheer size.Dietzen has slimmed down and is moving better also, doubt he's still 335 lbs, looks more like 6'5 320-325ish now.
I think the OL is going to be a huge asset going forward, we've developed depth and there are a lot of guys who can play in case of injury.

RB: Even after the fumble, I saw Taylor swinging the ball away from his body , habits are tough to break.Taylor needs to be used more in the passing game too.A natural pass catcher and YAC galore.
I think Shaw is getting healthy but I think he's trying to emulate Taylor and be more patient but that's not his style, he needs to hit the hole hard and fast LOL but serious that's how he runs best as a change up to Taylor.
Grosheck has great vision, takes zero extra steps and makes himself skinny and small behind his blockers and in the hole, love him but would still like to see what he can do at safety.We have a lot of Backs and more next season.

QB: Made some solid throws is accurate but frankly after rewatching the game,he could have had as many as 4 Ints against a good team.

TE: Fumagli is healthy, still not a good blocker and YEA, a Neuville sighting in the passing game, we need more of that.Next year, I think Fergie gets a real look if he puts on the requisite weight, don't see why they aren't giving Penniston some throws, might be a message there.

FB: Ramesh is a helluva blocker, can run it too, a quiet weapon, ask TAylor if you don't believe me.

WR: Cephus steady and valuable, AJTaylor looking more comfy but he's a bit of a body catcher and that could haunt against the top teams.He does look more determined and is thinking less and playing better, even on the kick offs but I still don't understand why Jamerson doesn't still have that job.He ran one for a TD a few years back and was very good.
Pryor has some ability, the miss off his hands at the end of the half didn't hurt, actually helped but could have hurt.he should get better and better, he gets open and catches it here early in his careeer.

DL: Olive with another sack and they immediately took him out, guess they want him back next season, he had a very good game.Fine game by Sheehy too, very steady, heady, stout tough guy player.Thought Alec James played well too, almost made an NFL play on a wide run but barely missed a difficult tackle because he didn't have the angle but made two other good plays, that's a good group, with Rand and hopefully Loudermilk back soon.

ILBS: Edwards made the big play and a few others too , what I don't see is him coming up and filling holes and making some Backs go backwards, ala a Trotter type under Aranda, it might be Jims defense with the ILBS more back in pass defense but I'd like to see the thick Edwards up there filling some holes more often.
The idea that team doesn't play good defense unless Orr is in there is not reality.Orr was in there in the first quarter and they moved it well on us, injured early, Connolly made a lot of great plays but he isn't going to stop guys in their tracks up at the line on third and one but he's all over the field making plays.Maybe the ILBS need to be coached up.
OLBS: Leon Jacobs elite athleticism makes up for his not always taking the right lanes and angles, he's a net asset as is #5 who's non-stop motor was the real cause of the pick 6.
Van Ginkel played his best game, he's getting better and better, hope he can add 10 lbs of muscle and retain his speed for next season, he can be a monster in the Biegel/Watt mold in the pass rush, great pick up last go around.

Safeties: #14 with another solid all around game, thought the pass interference penalty could have and should have been ignored and Jamerson mostly played well again though I wish he had stopped their QB on 3rd down instead of throwing forward for the first downLOL.I guess if you're strong and have a chance to hurt the QB human nature makes you try.

CBS: #11 with a dumb penalty, made some great plays, physically manhandles guys which might not work as well on the road where there will be penalties called. # 25 scares me, misses tackles, loses sight of the ball sometimes, he could get exposed in a big game, hope I'm wrong.The Frosh continues to compete and not get killed, guess we'll see next year if he's a real good player or just a guy.

Overall, I thought Chryst coached a better game this week.Hes trusting more guys in offense,calling more numbers, still a little too conservative, especially when we got the turnover toward the end of the half with a lead and getting the ball to start the second half and he didn't throw it to the end zone once.
Jimmy, please, please , please, the cover two ( should be called cover nobody) with no blitzes or pass rush guarantees they score or march down the field. It sucks!
specials, at least we almost looked like we were trying to block a punt once and our punter is taking too long to get the punts offf, scarey, don't want one one blocked against Iowa or Mich.
1-0.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News