ADVERTISEMENT

Memo to Paul Chryst, from a Pitt fan

recruitsreadtheseboards

Jun 11, 2006
Dear Paul:

Can I call you Paul? I mean, we are about the same age, we are both professionals, I feel "coach" is sometimes overused and misused. Anyway, Paul, by all accounts you are a good and stand up guy. Of all the things at Pitt, after what we have been through, that has always been what is most appealing to us. You aren't an asshole (sorry for the language and bluntness) which is overriding and pervasive in college coaching. In fact, FBS College Football coaches as a whole, rank somewhere between lawyers and despots on the despicability scale in regards to professions.

That being said, I would not blame you for leaving. Not at all. Wouldn't think bad of you for a moment. It is home for you. Your dad is a well known Wisconsin college coach, you were born and raised in Madison, you played at UW, you coached at UW. It is home. I think we (Pitt fans) all understand this. The term "dream job" is so thrown about it has become a punchline, but I imagine it truly is a "dreamjob".

I just ask two favors. One is obvious. Make a decision, make it quickly and don't string out either side. I am sure if offered, there will be some guilt for the Pitt community, but you have to do what is best for you and your family. Secondly and more important, DON'T! Don't lie. Don't come out as so many coaches do that "I am not going anywhere", then the next day a press conference is held. If you can't say anything, don't say anything. Just don't be one of those guys. Be honest. Be yourself. Don't lie. And finally, at least have the kindness to not James Franklin poach the kids who have committed to Pitt.

Best of luck. Just don't be a typical college coach. No one at Pitt will think poorly of you for going home. We understand. Just don't string us along.

Regards,

Me, the board logistical manager.

Memo to Paul Chryst...you're a very smart man. Get out of that crap hole while you still have a career.

Addendum to Memo To Paul: Thanks for leaving us better than you found us, and for being a classy guy. And thanks for making the decision easy. One or two more years of .500 football and 2-star recruits and you would be leaving anyway. This is good for everyone involved.

Originally posted by djbpitt:
Addendum to Memo To Paul: Thanks for leaving us better than you found us, and for being a classy guy. And thanks for making the decision easy. One or two more years of .500 football and 2-star recruits and you would be leaving anyway. This is good for everyone involved.
Why would Wisconsin want a .500 coach who fills the team with 2 star recruits?

Why would a coach better than Chryst want to go to Pitt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT