ADVERTISEMENT

My take on the game

LeftyLarry

Nov 11, 2003
good win on the road against a weak BYU team and a beginning back up QB, so let's keep perspective.

DL: Thought overall they played pretty well and thought the early success against our right side was a result of poor Linebacker play, yes, even Orr gets out of position, #5 too and there was no safety help either, not like the front three were getting ridden like mules.
Someone thought James was getting pushed around, i rewatched the game and it was the exact opposite, he played a very solid game and was stout against the run, most of yardage came against our right side of the defense. None of our DLs have any pass rushing moves, it's all pretty much straight ahead.On the play Rand knocked down the pass, a veteran QB would have lofted it over his head and it would have gone for a big gain.

Lbers: After the first drive or so, they played better, filled the holes, made plays but there doesn't seem to be the same lanes open for them to get to the passer, they are a little late and nobody breaks free untouched like in the past few seasons.Hopefully, JL is saving that for later but I doubt it.
Cichy is missed in that regard and Connolly has that talent too but the OL's aren't confused or wondering and everyone gets blocked by somebody, I miss the blitzing.

Db's played fine but BYU didn't have firepower against them but this group seemingly can catch the ball and INTS are always helpful, don't know if they can cover better WRs and TES Without a pass rush, that remains to be seen.Carrier-Williams looks the part , Tindall and Nelson weren't challenged much.

OL: Thought they played a fine game overall. Badass is already a weapon, the first penalty was bogus, I think Benschwael was the one holding there, Badass is a three- four year starter, future All Big player.
Funny people kill Kapoi but we run mostly between him and Dieter and pull Kapoi often when we run right, he must be doing something right.
I love Dieter, always have but he belongs inside and I can see him struggling against the better teams DEs, don't think Horni gets this time against Good Big Ten teams.

RB: Taylor is so good he must play but though he was more concerned with ball security, he still swings it and leaves it unprotected.Sadly, he has to lose a few more against teams like Iowa and mich before he'll really hold it against his body, that's just how it works, kids like him who are so good need some failure before they change, just hope it doesn't cost us a game.
James will be very useful next two seasons, and I still like Shaw as the quick hitter inside runner, were good to go there.
Wonder if the walk on could move to safety next season, he has speed and toughness,would make a good SS.

WR: Cephus is a real WR now, developing quickly, Davis a baby but talented and useful, Peavy experienced but I really like how comfy AJ Taylor is starting to look as a WR, he has good quickness and though he can't snatch it like Cephus and Davis can, he seems to get open and hold on to it also.Dangerous crew, we'll see if Chryst uses them all during the Big Ten season or reverts to TE and one reliable WR mostly.

TEs : another solid game by Fumagalli, penniston caught a pass, Neuville worked hard in the run game.

Nice to have kids who can actually kick off, punt and kick a FG.

Didn't have any serious injuries and get two weeks to lick old wounds, wonder if Dietzen starts next game or if they stick with Kapoi or if both play?Man if Ramcyk had returned, this OL would have been amazing.
Wonder if Rushing gets in the mix? Doubt it but he is a senior and has some talent too, funny, you'd think Rushing and Peavy as seniors would be the guys but most of us would gladly go with Cephus, Davis and AJ instead.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News