ADVERTISEMENT

OT, Just listened to an hour of Nick Saban Talking

Super Badger

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2003
Pacific Northwest
He was the keynote speaker for my broker dealer and was speaking to 4000+ financial advisors and he is amazing and it's really fascinating listening to his leadership style. Here's a couple of take aways:

• Be a transformational leader, not a transactional leader. Transactional leaders focus on the result ie "the win". Tranformational leaders try to help the people they are managing be the best they can be within the framework of the team.
  • There is no I in team, but their is an I in wIn.....if all players aren't doing their job individually, the team's success is lessened.
  • Life is hard, be grateful for the hard parts and the good parts.
  • He had 18 questions he'd ask HS players and was looking for kids who were self motivated.
  • You have hundreds of decisions in your life every day, but they come down to two. There are things you know you need to do and can you decide to do them even though you don't want to do it. And the other is things you know you shouldn't do and are you able to not do it, even though you want to do it.
  • He wanted to be a head coach and was up for the Kent State job, didn't get it and thought he'd never be a head coach. But looking back, winning at Kent State is very very difficult. Be grateful for some of the things you wanted to happen and didn't.....that may turn out much better.
There are tons more, but it's easy to see why he was successful. Now he had a lot of things going for him that other coaches didn't, but the leadership principals help turn a lot of individually great players into a championship program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.