ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Some quotes from Tuesday's practice

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
Mark Richt

On today’s practice

“I thought it was a good day. I thought the guys competed very hard. I think they had a lot of juice today. Our scout teamers did their thing and gave us a good look, and definitely, we got a lot done.”

On being on the same weekly schedule

“Yeah, I think so. We’re normally a morning team as most people know, and to practice in the morning is good for us and something we’re used to. We set up our schedules where we had basically Tuesday through Thursday practices before we left for Christmas and then came back, and we’re doing it again today and tomorrow, and it’s going to be exactly like it would game week. Friday is exactly like it would be before game day, Saturday game day, so everything is like normal, so I think that helps us a lot. It helps me stay organized, I can tell you that.

On what jumps out to him about Wisconsin

“Physical play, hustle, fundamentals, toughness.”

Tyler Gauthier – Offensive Lineman

On the first practice being in the books and preparing for the Orange Bowl

“It went well. I mean, we’re used to the weather, and it’s always good to get out there and play with your brothers another week.

On the bowl week

“It’s a blessing to be in Miami and in a hotel like this with my teammates. I walked out last night onto my balcony, and it’s on the twelfth floor overlooking the beach. It’s beautiful, and we’re really happy to be here.”

On Wisconsin

“They play really hard; you can see it on film. They never stop hustling; always 11 men to the ball, they move well and they want you to come up and play physical football with them.”

Michael Irvin II - Tight End

On practice today

“I thought we practiced very well. A little bit of a slow start and we have to fix that. Coach always tells us to start fast in the beginning. We compete, we always compete and that’s the most fun thing about practice to get out there and go compete. You get to play against your brothers again right afterwards.”

On showcasing his talents at the Orange Bowl

“It’s very exciting, extremely exciting but it’s also a lot more responsibility on my end losing Chris [Herndon], but having him here to help me is great. We watch film together, we study and everything, he’ll see something that I do and he’ll help me out and tell me ‘you need to do this better.’ Also, my coach has been real good with it always about staying in my head and everything…I love it, it’s work but I love it.”

Kendrick Norton, Defensive Lineman

On what it’s like to be back on the field after time off for the holidays

“It means a lot to be able to go home and have that time for your family and everything and then to come back and be back with your brothers here working.”

On how he thought the first day of practice went

“I thought it went really well. We had a lot of energy out there today and there was good focus out there and just good vibes so it was a good day.”

On facing Wisconsin

“It means a lot coming into the bowl game and to be able to play a top-tier team, and it’s a good chance for us to go out there and prove how good we are.”

Zach McCloud – Linebacker

On what the first practice was like today

“It felt good, everything was smooth. The game plan is already installed, so it was just going over and perfecting everything. I felt good energy and everybody’s mind was in the right place.”

On playing in the Orange Bowl

“It’s just hope for next year. We’ve seen a bigger stage now, and we know where we can aim and where we can go if we do the right things.”

uclbqppforqtsukeblpa

Paul Chryst – Head Coach, Wisconsin

On preparation for the Capital One Orange Bowl

“It certainly is another beautiful day. I like the way the players have been working. You appreciate that. There is a certain rhythm to the week. We have been able to take advantage. It’s been great here. The practice facility has been wonderful.”

On preparations for the weather in Miami

“We haven’t had it since training camp. You embrace it. Certainly, as you get closer to the game, you have to make sure you are hydrating. It’s different.”

On the challenges of facing the University of Miami

“You look at them whether it’s their special teams, their offense, their defense; it’s obviously a very talented football team. It’s a really good football team. It’s certainly grabbed our players’ attention, and they know we’re facing a heck of a team, and we’ve got to be at our best to give ourselves a chance. It’s pretty simple to see when you watch the film why they’ve had the success they’ve had.”

Chris Orr – Linebacker, Wisconsin

On whether the matchup with Miami in the Orange Bowl is a good one

“Yes. Most definitely. They’ve got great players on their team. They’ve been hit with the injury bug, but they have some great players, some really athletic and smart guys on the field, so it’s going to be a great challenge.”

On the mystique of University of Miami football

“Just another team. Everybody has that little hype about themselves. It’s almost every team has that: Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa. Everybody has some type of hype surrounding them. Now, it’s just another team.”

On how frustrating it is to see other one-loss teams in the College Football Playoff

“We try not to worry about that. There is nothing we can control. We missed out because we didn’t win, so we can’t think about that, or even think about that too much, because it’s out of our hands.”

Dontye Carriere-Williams – Cornerback, Wisconsin

On the disappointment of Big 10 title game loss

“It was a tough stage, but we got through it.”

On coming home and playing against Miami

“I grew up watching Miami. I followed them very closely, and it definitely has some weight to it, but we’re just trying to come out and play Badger football.”

On playing in the Capital One Orange Bowl

“I’m loving it. It’s the best game ever. It’s home. It’s the Sunshine State, Hard Rock Stadium. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

On whether he feels pressure coming home to play

“No. I don’t know what pressure is.”

On how close to home he is and visiting family

“About 10 or 15 minutes. I went home the first night when we landed, and yesterday after practice, I went home and spent some time with them.

On missing out on the College Football Playoff

“I look at it as a statement game. We don’t get the respect we deserve year in and year out. I definitely feel like this is a statement game against Miami. With them being in the college football playoff talk at one point in time during the season, it’s definitely a big game.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.