ADVERTISEMENT

Badger hoops, beakdown.

LeftyLarry

Nov 11, 2003
Nigel Hayes:

Nigel got a little too big for his britches this season.After playing GREAT team ball as a Soph, Nigel decided he needed to be the MAN for NBA purposes and stopped playing like we know he could play.

He stopped letting the game come to him, stopped being humble and became a little lackidasical in his choice of shots and attention to detail.Additionally, his drives went from trying to score to tying to get fouled and I believe his focus and precision, therefore went away, because when you drive to get fouled ,making the shot is secondary .

Even the off the court stuff went from Nigel, the wordsmith and deadpan comedian to Nigel, the know-it-all, wiseguy with the hipster hat.

He started missing and had no respect for the ball, shooting at will, arbitrarily with no longer any plan except to score and with no respect for teammates.Frankly he pulled a bit of a Trae Jackson but backed it up even less than Trae did.

All that being said, Nigel is a warrior, he rebounds with the best of them in clutch situations, defenses them in clutch situations and can still score within the context of TEAM also.Additionally, he can make an entry pass to Happ, something not everybody on this team can do, sadly.

His Coaches need to keep him under control, bench him when he shoots to often and with no regard for missing them, I'm glad he's returning, he can help us win next year and with AVV and VItto's improvement, they can sit his ass if he gets into a me, me, me, mode again.

Bronson Koenig:
Bronson changed also, I dunno if he had a vision of being the MAN also, with so many graduating or if his new interest in the "reservation" changed him but he wasn't the same Bronson on the court this season.
He needs to stop dribbling so much because frankly, it hurts the team and the ball movement.
Additionally his care factor was down a lot this season also.

He often lost his man on defense, hell he was tired from all the dirbbling but he still played decent defense and rebounded well and we know he can shoot.
He needs to understand he can score just as much while handling the ball, much less.
Move the ball around play off of HApp and Nigel and if you get it with under 10 seconds left on the clock then dribble/drive but with more pull up and fall away jumpers both of which he can hit.

Again, attention to detail is something GARD needs ot bring back to the team, not in a mean spirited way like a former coach often did and inhibited his players but in a constructive way to let them know EVERY possession is important.I would argue ND game was lost in the first half when we had many chances to open a big lead but didn't VALUE the ball enough and kept letting them back in.

VITTO:

He became our most consistent open 3 point shooter this season and will have to play a role again next season because there's nobody else.

VItto improved greatly but he still has a LONG, long ways to go.
His next EFFECTIVE pick/screen will be his first.I mean he has no clue, he never squares up on the screen and allows the defender to pass without getting blocked by him, it's a joke that nobody works with him on that simple play.Bronson or Showy come around he sets the pick, everybody goes by and it's like he wasn't on the court and it HURTS the team.

Additionally on offense he needs to develop SOME kind of shot from the left side of his drive.He dribbles in fakes, loses the guy to the right as he fakes to the left, is wide open and then TUNS back into the defender (who he has beaten) because he has no fall away, hook, or left hand of any type.It's a joke really, he's open and then turns back to be defended.If he can develop some little way to finish there, a bank shot would work from 10 feet, he'd be a third option in the paint.

He must figure out how to pass the ball effectively, they need to work with him on that, he can't feed HApp and he's a passing turnover waiting to happen.We aren't good enough to win close games with a player like that, causing turnovers because he can't make simple passes.

He's never going to be a good defender, has no lateral quickness but he needs to play smarter to overcome that too.

He seems coach-able, damn it, Coach him up.We need his shooting, unless AVV is amazing instead.

Showy:
Great jumpers like to jump, stop working on your jumping and dunks and start making 500, 3's a day until you're a very, very good if not great shooter.
With the rest of your overall floor game, all you need is a consistent 3, threat to hit them, to become a very, very top college guard and you'll make Happ better too.

You can be an All-big ten first or second team if you'll tighten up your shooting over the off-season.Loose passing was a team effort, GArd needs ot make ALL of you a bit more careful.

HApp;

Great potential, great overall athleticism and very smart.He makes clutch baskets, clutch blocks and steals, needs to work on a mid-range game, become a better free throw shooter and slow down a bit with the dribbling and passing so there are les turnovers.His game is solid, his understanding perfect, he needs maturity and another year to figure it out even better, great assett, work on the mid-range hooks, and jumpers.
Hell make 77% of your free throws and you're a big improvement. You'll get more fouls called for you next season.

Hill;

AN enigma. Has good quicks, fluid motions and handles pretty well, sees the open man.
What is with the arm waving and talking every time you pass the ball.Shut the f-k up and concentrate on your own game and wave once in awhile not every play like you're Oscar Robertson, directing traffic.

HIlls, shot must get better, AND he MUST learn when to shoot and when to pass, not just how to shoot and how to pass.

On defense, he does NOT fight through or slide through the picks, ever.He gladly puts a 6' foot speedster on Happ or VItto and he then switches to a 6'7 type who beats him every time if the smaller guy doesn't force a foul on our big.It's terrible, it hurts, even if some fans aren't nuanced enough ot notice it.The coaches should.

Will he EVER not be a turnover waiting to happen?

Still think he and VItto aren't typical Wisconsin SMART players but both have some potential if coached up.
I expect Hill to be a lot better next season.

CHarlie: Grow up get stronger, faster, you can rebound and I believe eventually play defense in the post and you can shoot.You need to develop a post game though, we don't need another perimeter player, which I think right now you'd be more comfy playing.I saw that long three fall. LOL
Need to get more comfy with your back to the basket, watch HApp.

AVV; Hope your are what we think you are, you will change everything.You'll make everyone better if you're a shooter/rebounder/shot blocker.CHanges the entire dynamic. Makes us a real contender.We lost the game late yesterday with both Hill and VItto on the floor, I expect you'd be there instead if happ fouls out.

ALex Ilk: Needs to get stronger and quicker and needs ot tighten up his outside shot.I see him as a better Tim Jarmuzs type who can help offensively with a tighter 3 point game.He's a smart player with limited ability but good size.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News