ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Basketball & NCAA Titles - How do we break the steak?

AquaBadger

Gold Member
Jun 21, 2001
As close as Purdue was to winning a national championship this year, in my opinion, they weren't all that close. UConn dimissed Purdue, Illinios, and Northwestern without much of a fuss. The B10 National Championship drought continues.

There are three areas, I think the Big Ten needs to take a long look at if they want to end the drought.
  1. Scheme: By enlarge The Big Ten continues to play through monster bigs. No team has won a NCAA Championship with a monster big and playing through them posting up.
  2. Roster Management: The Big Ten continues to prioritize skill and strength over athleticism and length. Because that fits the scheme and you need that size/skill to win games in the Big Ten.
  3. Recruiting: In the NIL era we should be able to land the best of the best. Our TV financial resources are vastly superior to other basketball conferences. So why does the conference continue to lose recruits to Big East, Big 12, SEC, and ACC schools?
All of these things are interconnected. Scheme impacts roster make management, Scheme impacts Recruiting, Recruiting impacts scheme and roster management, etc. Are there other considerations?

My overall opinion is: If the Big Ten put more money and focus into basketball and a little less on football, we could be the most dominant college conference again.

While I'm most interested in Wisconsin. I think about this at the conference level. I'm interested in your thoughts.

How do we break the streak?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News