ADVERTISEMENT

WISCONSIN WHISPERS Edition No. 39

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
Wisconsin may have found its second receiver

Labeling Oliver Martin a “sleeper” in the 2017 class isn’t exactly accurate after the 2017 wide receiver took home MVP honors at The Opening regional in Chicago last month (SPARQ score of 112, fourth overall at the camp). And just days before Nike’s event, Martin, a first-team 4A All-State (Iowa) selection as a junior,was crowned the unanimous camp MVP at Don Beebe’s House of Speed combine.

But Wisconsin became the first school to extend a Power Five offer to the 6-foot-1, 190-pound senior from Iowa City on Saturday. After impressing the coaching staff at last weekend’s camp, Martin quietly made it back to Madison and received the scholarship from head coach Paul Chryst.

Talking to people close to Martin’s recruitment, it’s surprising the Badgers were the first school to pull the trigger, especially with the Hawkeyes and Cyclones in his backyard.

“He's a unique talent -- elite in the Big Ten,” a source in Iowa told BadgerBlitz.com. “The fact it took this long is amazing to me. The best combo of natural talent and work ethic I've ever seen.

“He goes to the Nike Opening in two weeks and is with the top 200 players in the nation. My guess is he likely won't dominate but each day will improve and by Day 4 is one of top five receivers there. Bold statement but the bigger the stage the better he does. He's such a good route runner with minimal experience compared to kids in South. But he's world-class powerful and has big, strong hands and catches everything.

“Thirty-eight inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump, 4.0-4.1 (second) pro agility. There’s five kids in America who can do that. Maybe. He's fast; 4.45-4.55 (40-yard dash) legit. But it will improve because it does not match the other numbers. If you see his legs and build he will be 210-220 (pounds) in college and bully defensive backs once taught to use hands.”

So is Martin going to be No. 11 for the Badgers in the 2017 class? There’s a very good chance that happens, but the plan is for him to camp at Indiana today (Sunday) with a few more on the horizon. According to the same source, UW’s offer could open the floodgates.

“I will say he likes it there (Wisconsin) and if he gets offers from everyone -- I believe he will -- that Wisconsin will remain a top player for a few reasons. Wisconsin checks all the boxes.”

Martin, who is also an extremely accomplished swimmer and baseball player, had 72 catches for 1,208 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior. He also holds scholarships from Army, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Western Michigan and Western Illinois, in addition to UW.

… Or will No. 11 be a defensive back?

Two-star defensive back Josh Turner tells BadgerBlitz.com he will visit Wisconsin “either Wednesday or Thursday.” After extending an offer this summer, the 6-foot, 180-pound corner from Florida has been eager to get his first look at Wisconsin.

Turner, who has 20-plus scholarship offers, is also receiving a recent push from Boston College, Purdue and Iowa, with Army, the school his brother graduated from, also a long-time player in his recruitment. But the staff believes they’ll be able to close him out while on campus, according to a source. There’s no secret that numbers are tight and Turner may want to secure the final spot at his position alongside Madison Cone in this class.

The latest on Brad Davison

There’s a strong feeling that Brad Davison, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound combo guard who just picked up an offer from Wisconsin, will commit to the Badgers on June 29 during an unofficial visit. This would be very similar to what Nathan Reuvers did roughly a month ago when he pledged to head coach Greg Gard in person.

We’re told, however, this is not a layup for UW.

Davison will visit Stanford, Northern Iowa, Butler, Michigan and Northwestern prior to his visit to Madison. And, according to a source, one of those schools is a significant threat to the Badgers.

“I’m telling you there’s a lot of buzz with Stanford right now,” a source told BadgerBlitz.com. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he committed during his visit there.”

A 4.0 student, Davison, we’re told, has not yet been admitted into Stanford but the staff there feels so strongly about his academics, character and ability on the court that they have made him a top priority in this class. The Cardinal does not yet have a commitment in the 2017 cycle.

“He’s a very independent and bright kid,” the same source said. “Everyone expects him to go to Wisconsin, but Brad has never come out and said that’s his leader. He wouldn’t have any problem going to school in California and it would be tough to turn down the academic side of things there.”

That said, the Badgers do have a lot working in their favor. Davison’s gone on the record in saying the Wisconsin offer was a big one for him, particularly because Gard has been recruiting and evaluating him since he was in eighth grade. Wisconsin’s system also fits him very well and he has a good relationship with Ruevers and Kobe King, two potential teammates at UW. Playing close to home is also a plus and the academics at Wisconsin work in the school’s favor.

It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out. If Davison leaves Stanford uncommitted, that could be a good sign for Wisconsin, but certainly wouldn’t guarantee anything. A final decision, though, is expected in the near future.

“I’m hoping to commit in July or early August, just because it’s my senior year of football,” Davison told Rivals.com. “My sophomore and junior years we went to the final four and lost in states. I’m going to put all my chips in on football [as the quarterback] this August.”

Odds and ends

*Deon Jackson has been Wisconsin’s top running back target since April, but the Badgers are not trending in the right direction for the three-star senior. Duke is currently his leader with Georgia making a late push.

“A Georgia offer would put some schools further down in consideration but Duke will remain really high even if Georgia offers," Jackson told Rivals.com.

At this point, Rutgers commit Jonathan Taylor is the Badgers’ most realistic option at tailback in 2017.

*Wednesday was the first day coaches could contact members of the 2018 basketball class. And while Greg Gard didn’t make any 12:01 AM phone calls, we’re told the following players heard from UW: Jordan McCabe, Joey Hauser, Tyler Herro, Daniel Oturu, Race Thompson, Isaiah Kelly, Jarvis Thomas-Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur, among others.

*Speaking of Hauser and Herro, arguably 1A and 1B on Wisconsin’s priority list in 2018, both are expected to be at UW’s advanced camp on June 24.

*Three-star defensive back Scott Nelson will visit Wisconsin in June 21. The Badgers were recently included in his top five along with Michigan State, Northwestern, Iowa and Penn State.

*And if you missed it, some video from the Badgers’ camp on Saturday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News