ADVERTISEMENT

Football and Academic Requirements - Part Two

Mowe11

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
So UW-Madison academic requirements are tougher than other schools largely because they actually focus on the core classwork being "real" and they also have a second language requirement of some magnitude. That would also clearly lead to kids with higher GPA's and ACT scores than probably 95% of schools. Maybe even higher.

So my question for this learned board is simple:
Does the requirement create a competitive advantage or a competitive detriment to our football program?

Personally, I think it is a CLEAR advantage. The biggest is the uniqueness and quality of kid from many perspectives. Wisconsin football is not a commodity chasing the same kids as 95% of the country. And the kids that care a bit more about school will want a football program and a university like Wisconsin. It is unique. Being unique wins.

Some will say "make an exception" from time to time for a great player. I would say no on that. Culture is fragile. Uniqueness is fragile.

P.S. I am quite certain that AJ Taylor does not come to Wisconsin without this uniqueness. As one of many many examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: emmels
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News