ADVERTISEMENT

Mertz, Engram and Allen

Super Badger

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Just some random thoughts.
Mertz HAS improved and looks like he could actually have a "historic" year for a Wisconsin QB. He's much more comfortable moving in the pocket and avoiding the rush...much much better this year. He did get lucky yesterday as he could gave had about 3 picks, two on the long passes...since PC left he's looked better.

Bobby Engram I think has had a learning year and has done well in two and a half games since PC left. NW, Purdue were really good....MSU was a bad game plan, and why I said "half" was that the emphasis on the run game yesterday was well thought out, but the passing game was a head scratcher. I didn't understand what the heck he was calling on those long passes into the wind?? That decision will be a very important one for Jimmy after the season...probably the most important one he'll have.

Allen is obviously a VERY talented athlete. He's done a great job with limited RB experience intaking over the lead role. I think he has a very bright future. He does struggle reading the hole and being decisive in his acceleration through holes. This instinct I hope he develops over time, but it's apparent RB isn't his natural position. We have been spoiled with really good instinctive RB's, especially JT. Lastly, there are times he doesn't finish the run and is a bit tentative. That may be because he's dinged up, but with his size he should be should be exploding through anyone who is not a defensive lineman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News