ADVERTISEMENT

WISCONSIN WHISPERS Mini-whispers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
*This was talked about in another thread, where I teased a prospect in the 2018 class who had a legit Alabama offer but had Wisconsin on top. Well, that would be four-star cornerback Jairus Brents from Kentucky.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound prospect visited last fall for Wisconsin's night game against Ohio State. As more offers continued to pour in - Alabama, USC, Tennessee and Oklahoma, among others - it was assumed the Badgers were fading in his recruitment. Quite the opposite, according to a source.

"According to his godfather from the conversation I had with him, Wisconsin definitely leads for him (Brents).

"Gotta think if Brents wants to commit they will take it and then see how things shake out."

Wisconsin, as of today, is full and not able to take any commitments. But a lot can change from now until February. According to the same source, coordinator Jim Leonhard has kept close tabs on Brents since his visit. Largely due to Leonhard, who is telling Brents' camp Wisconsin wants him bad, the Badgers are atop his list of potential schools.

Brents has gone pretty quiet since the spring and it's unknown exactly where he stands in terms of a timeline. But the longer things drag on, the more likely it is that room could open up in this class. That said, if Brents called today and tried to commit, the staff would find a way to make it work. Expect Brents to take an official visit to Madison at some point this fall.

*More good news for the Badgers, this time it's with Greg Gard and the hoops program. From everything I gather, Wisconsin in trending in the right direction for four-star in-state forward. I've heard bits and pieces here and there, but this message recently came across my desk.

"A good friend of mine at work is a HS basketball coach and well connected with lots of people throughout the state. He sent me a text this morning saying word amongst people he has talked to has Hauser picking the Badgers."

In regards to the Hauser camp, they have never really hinted at a favorite, but Wisconsin, Marquette and Michigan State are perceived leaders with the live evaluation period kicking off Wednesday. The one school I continue to hear rumblings about, though, is Duke. Should the Blue Devils offer, I'm told that would be a game changer. Right now, Duke, surprisingly, doesn't have a commitment in the 2018, but it singed six players in 2017.

The questions on Hauser are always popular. But let's look a few certainties:

-The biggest, in my opinion: Wisconsin has not offered anyone else in the 2018 class. Playing the all-in angle to the Hauser camp is a good strategy, but it's also proof Gard and company feel good about where they stand. They wouldn't continue to move forward with him if the interest wasn't mutual.

-Just how bad does Marquette want him? Probably pretty bad, but not in the same ball park as Wisconsin. The Golden Eagles took three players who project to Hauser's same position in 2017: Jamal Cain, Theo John and Ikechukwu Eke. And in 2018, they have offers out to projected power forwards Race Thompson, Gerald Liddell, Jaedon LeDee, Simisola Shittu and Jarvis Thomas-Omersa, in addition to Hauser. Finally, on the current roster, Ed Morrow recently transferred in, as well as Harry Froling.

Needless to say, that's a crowed front court at Marquette. Looking at Wisconsin's situation, Hauser would have Nathan Reuvers in front of him, with Alex Illikainen and Andy Van Vliet as projected seniors on the roster. Hauser's camp is going to look at every piece of information available to them. From a pure basketball standpoint, UW makes much more sense.

Expect Gard to be in the following locations this month to follow Hauser and the Iowa Barnstormers:

July 12-16 Gauntlet Finale (Live) Spartanburg, SC
July 20-23 Hardwood Classic Lawrence, KS
July 26-30 adidas Summer Championship (Live) Las Vegas, NV

*Quick note on four-star linebacker Jack Sanborn, from a source.

"Jack is getting his shoulder scoped soon, and will miss fall camp and potentially a game or two at the beginning of the season. They're going to bring him back slowly, but it's something to keep an eye on.

"He also mentioned that Jack's little brother (whose name I cannot remember) just completed his freshman year, and is bigger and more athletic than Jack, but definitely wants to follow in his footsteps to come to UW. Just a tidbit for the future."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News