ADVERTISEMENT

WISCONSIN WHISPERS Ohio State weekend shaping up to be a big event

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
Ohio State weekend could produce two commitments

A night game at Camp Randall against current No. 2 Ohio State was a no-brainer for the coaching staff as they mapped out Wisconsin’s recruiting calendar. As it stands, the Badgers will host three official visitors with two arriving in Madison on commitment watch.

The first is three-star running back Jonathan Taylor, whom Wisconsin has been on since May. A 5-foot-10, 201-pound prospect from New Jersey, Taylor is currently committed to Rutgers but a source close to his recruitment believes he’ll flip should he make it to UW in two weeks.

“If he makes the visit I think he's as good as gone,” the source said.

In fact, we’re hearing that Rutgers is preparing to lose Taylor and is now targeting three-star Devin Darrington as a potential replacement.

The second prospect to keep an eye on is three-star cornerback Faion Hicks, who recently picked up an offer from the staff.

“If everything goes good, I will without a doubt think about committing,” Hicks told BadgerBlitz.com.

Illinois, Iowa State, Cincinnati, South Florida and Toledo are also in the mx for the 5-foot-10, 180-pound senior. Wisconsin, though, has quickly moved into the driver’s seat and should be able to close things out with a solid visit.

The final prospect on the official visitor list – which could grow in the next week or so – is Florida outside linebacker/defensive end K'Jakyre Daley, who has already visited Iowa State and Oklahoma officially. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound prospect also holds offers from Notre Dame, Louisville, Tennessee and Arizona, among others. Daley is not expected to commit during his visit.

Christian Cumber pencils in his official visit to Wisconsin

Another recent offer for the staff, three-star Christian Cumber will visit Wisconsin officially when the Badgers host Nebraska the weekend of Oct. 29, according to his father. Furthermore, assistant coach Jim Leonhard is expected to be in Denver on Monday to check on Cumber and other recruiting targets in the area.

Wisconsin already has one commitment at cornerback from Madison Cone and could have two before Cumber’s visit. It’s believed that a potential pledge from Hicks would not affect Cumber’s standing with the Badgers, who are also awaiting word on Ke’shan Pennamon’s academic standing this fall.

Just how many corners UW plans to take in this class is question Cumber’s camp hopes to get answered Monday.

“That's a question we plan to ask Jim on Monday,” Brent Cumber said.

That same weekend, the Badgers are also working to host Michigan safety Scott Nelson, who has had a long-standing top five of UW, Michigan State, Iowa, Penn State and Northwestern.

“My parents haven’t been to a couple (schools), so we’re trying to see if we can schedule a couple game visits,” Nelson told BadgerBlitz.com. “My dad hasn’t been to Wisconsin and my mom hasn’t been to Iowa. They have seen the rest of the places I am considering.”

Though five schools are still in the mix, a source indicated that the 6-foot-2, 180-pound projected safety is favoring the Badgers and Hawkeyes.

Nobal Days not focused much on recruiting

While getting some film of 2018 running back Erick Doke (Kenosha Bradford) Friday evening in Racine, I was able to speak with some people from Racine Park about 2019 center Nobal Days, who was recently offered by Wisconsin.

Just a sophomore in high school, Days, 6-foot-9, 200 pounds, is not focused much on recruiting at this point in the process.

“He’s more worried about getting his driver’s license right now,” a source joked.

Days’ family, though, is very high on what Wisconsin offers academically (Days is a 4.0 student) and on the court with Greg Gard, according to the same source. Iowa and Notre Dame are expected in for visits later this month.

There’s still a long way to go, but Days feels like a kid the Badgers will be able to keep inside the state when all is said and done.

This should get you excited for the basketball season (Khalil Iverson)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News