ADVERTISEMENT

COMMITMENT Racine Horlick running back walking on (Adams)

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
http://journaltimes.com/sports/high...cle_211695b2-608c-5742-8769-9b9fd6cfc5d6.html

One year after St. Catherine’s graduate Kelly Thomas joined Wisconsin as a walk-on, he will be joined by two other Racine County players. Hegeman Tiedt (Burlington) will be a preferred walk-on and Tavares Adams (Horlick) will have the same status in addition to being the recipient of a full scholarship after completing a program in high school.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Tiedt, a first-team Wisconsin Football Coaches Association All-Region player as a defensive lineman, had 16 tackles for loss and seven sacks last season. Tiedt was contacted by Andrew Marlatt, the Badgers’ director of recruiting, last fall and made several visits to Madison since then before deciding.

“It will take my 100-percent effort,” said Tiedt, also a standout wrestler for Burlington. “It will really be a challenge, but I will go where the team needs me.”

The 6-1, 190-pound Adams, who rushed for 788 yards and nine touchdowns on 120 carries, will receive what amounts to a full academic scholarship, according to Horlick coach Brian Fletcher.

Adams was involved in “The People’s Program,” which required him to take workshop classes every summer at Wisconsin while he was in high school. He has a 3.82 grade-point average.

“I had him projected as a high Division II athlete,” Fletcher said. “That’s how he was recruited. But he’s also a very high academic kid. He was accepted into Madison and he’s got a full scholarship through a program he participated in over the summers, from his freshman year to his senior year.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News