ADVERTISEMENT

Still not sold on Wahl

Chris441

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2011
Most of you will hate this post. I know we've had these conversations since Wahl decided to come here. The general consensus is that hes solid, sneaky defender, can guard many different positions etc.
Ive pretty much said all along that While these things are true, his lack of shooting ability and the fact that hes too thin to play inside kind of puts him in limbo on offense. Its great to have a guy that can get a steal and a block each game and have a high "basketball IQ," but I doubt his ability to really help this team enough to warrant him being a starter going into next season, or to take time from Johnny Davis this season.
He scores 4 points a game, 4 rebounds a game 43% from the field, 22 % from three, 56% free throws.
I think to really be a contributor this season he should be at 8-10 points per game, 35% from 3, 75 % from the free throw line.
Long story short, it would be nice if in his second season he was producing a little bit more. We have seen in the past that if guys cant shoot they dont magically learn how to shoot as their career goes on.
Iverson for example ended up being a nice player because he was so physically strong and could jump so high that it made him play bigger than he actually was. Wahl doesnt have near that athletic ability or power.
Johnny Davis is already noticeably ahead of wahl as an overall player. He defends well, rebounds AND he is a legit scoring threat, will be our best player by far next season.
Going forward into next season, Wahl's experience will be nice on the defensive end, so we may need him on the floor for that reason. But on the other hand, Hepburn will need to be on the floor as a PG, we will need Davis on the floor, Carlson and Crawl for size and I think we will get Mohrs involved early as he is well developed physically and as John has said, may be in the top 5 scorers in Wisconsin History by the time his career is done, which I can also see happening.

I have mentioned about a year ago that I see Wahl as more of a big passing PG. He could get the ball up the court, make good decisions, play D, maybe beat a smaller PG defender to the hoop and use his size in that way.
He cant shoot so he cant really play wing and it kind of negates his size against wings or forwards because hes just not big enough to dominate them on the way to the hoop like a Nigel Hayes who also forgot how to shoot.

PG- Hepburn
G- Davis
F-Carlson
F- Mohrs
C- Crawl

This would be my lineup for next year, Wahl will need to play more minutes but hes a backup in my opinion and im not even sure we have anywhere near enough scoring with him on the floor. I really hope bowman comes back!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: ktownhenny
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News