ADVERTISEMENT

UW Basketball: We need to adjust

AquaBadger

Gold Member
Jun 21, 2001
This is just an observation. And from it flows an opinion.

(My disclaimer: I like being system oriented basketball. I grew up valuing being defensive minded and playing methodical team-oriented offense. I value these things. So don't get your panties in a twist.)

My perception: The State of Wisconsin is consistently producing greater depth and breadth of high caliber basketball players.
  • In the 90s: the top player in the state was most often a contributor on a Div.1 team..but not always and had aspirations of playing anywhere professionally (Europe)
  • In the 00s: the top players (multiple guys) in the state developed into an all-conference type and had aspirations of playing in the NBA
  • In the 10s: the top players (multiple guys) in the state was most often an all-conference player (early) and had aspirations of leaving school early and being drafted in the first round
Why is this important? Despite the increase in the caliber and the number of high caliber players available to the University of Wisconsin, our approach to basketball has remained unchanged.

Wisconsin's approach and culture has always valued talent...but (since Dick Bennett) the goal of Wisconsin has always been to produce a team that is more valuable than the sum of its parts. UW values talent in aggregate more than at the individual level.

This was a very sound strategy when Dick Bennett arrived. We needed to maximize the output of a team that didn't have as much local talent as other Big 10 schools.

The State of Wisconsin's basketball culture has changed in the last 25 years. The grassroots approach UW took and the success it fueled ignited more interest in kids. The increased availability and popularity of playing AAU ball made basketball a year-round sport in Wisconsin. As a result, the talent level of basketball in the state is at an all-time high.

The increase in state talent and the proliferation of AAU exposure has changed the landscape. Wisconsin once mined state talent that was deceptive good and under the radar. Today, Wisconsin struggles to keep state talent home because the kids are more talented, received more exposure thanks to AAU, and have more options.

When you have options as a kid...the option that requires you to be the most disciplined and team-oriented...isn't regularly the most attractive (even if it is the most successful). Kids want freedom...not rules.

Wisconsin hasn't adjusted. We've seen in-state kids go to Marquette (we should never lose a recruiting battle to them), North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Kentucky, Michigan, and Michigan State only to become excellent collegiate players who are pursuing NBA careers.

We need to adjust

The level of basketball talent in the state is at an all-time high and it's growing. Wisconsin can win with Wisconsin kids. But Wisconsin kids have more options today than ever. And, UW's style is less consistently the style Wisconsin kids are interested in.

We don't need to abandon the things that have made UW successful. But we need to recognize the changing dynamic within our state recruiting pool. Slight tweaks to our system can keep us within the pillars of our success AND help us return to consistently winning in-state recruiting battles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News