ADVERTISEMENT

WISCONSIN WHISPERS Weekend lives up to the hype

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
Weekend lives up to the hype

As of Sunday evening, Wisconsin’s monster recruiting weekend had only produced one commitment (Florida cornerback Faion Hicks), something that could be viewed as a bit anticlimactic by causal fans. But after talking with close to 30 prospects on Sunday, I truly feel the atmosphere and message from the coaching staff was as well received this weekend as any during my 10 years of covering recruiting.

Despite the outcome and a bit of rain, the buzz around Camp Randall Stadium on Saturday made a lasting impact on just about every kid I spoke with. “Electric” was a commonly used term as recruits tried to put the game into words. In particular, I feel three prospects now have Wisconsin in the lead after talking with them and a source close to the program.

2018 quarterback Ben Bryant

"The atmosphere was mind-blowing. I've never been to a football game with that type of atmosphere. I love the stadium and the tradition behind it. It would be a really great thing to be a part of. My interest in Wisconsin is high up there, for sure. I'm not really sure how any other school can top Wisconsin.”

Bryant’s visit this weekend put the Badgers way out front in his recruitment. A decision could come as early as this winter at the conclusion of his junior season when Bryant plans to get more serious about his college options. But would Wisconsin accept his commitment considering how well it stands with fellow 2018 signal callers Artur Sitkowski and Jack Tuttle? It’s tough to say right now, but the staff may have to make a decision in the next few months.

2018 defensive end Devin O’Rourke

"Never have I been in a stadium with the fans so into the game. I couldn't believe how loud and intense it was, you really have to experience it to understand what it's like."

The No. 3 player in Illinois’ 2018 in-state class, O’Rourke was on campus again after visiting and picking up an offer this past summer. It’s still early, but UW may have taken a slight lead over Northwestern in his recruitment.

2018 linebacker Jack Sanburn

"I don't have any favorites or anything at this time but I loved everything about Wisconsin. They will be a school that I am looking at throughout the whole process.”

Wisconsin was able to get Sanburn on campus just a few days after offering. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound junior looks to be cut from the same cloth as the successful linebackers on the Badgers’ current roster. UW currently sits very well with Sanburn, though an offer from Notre Dame could make things more interesting in his recruitment.

What’s left to do in 2017 moving forward?

Wisconsin is sitting on 11 commitments and I continue to hear the magic number is 13, though that is certainly not set in stone. With another cornerback in the mix, it could be first come, first served for the final two spots with contestants still remaining at safety, receiver, running back and corner.

Tailback Jonathan Taylor, who was on campus this weekend, likely grades out as the top remaining target. A 5-foot-11, 211-pound senior, Taylor returned to New Jersey still committed to Rutgers and there’s a chance he continues to take other official trips this fall. In turn, UW will continue to evaluate other running backs in this class.

Safety Jaylen Kelly-Powell also visited officially this weekend and though things went very well, he's believed to be a strong Michigan lean. Another safety to watch from the same state is Scott Nelson, whom the staff is trying to get on campus in two weeks for an official visit. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound senior is believed to be favoring the Badgers and Hawkeyes with a decision on the horizon.

Finally, receivers could Ted Gilmore has a sleeper in the mix. Texas wide out Emmet Perry from DeSoto High School is working on finalizing an official visit at the end of the month.

“I’m planning my official to Wisconsin for the 29th,” Perry told BadgerBlitz.com. “Coach Gilmore said I had to fill out the information for my official

“I believe Wisconsin will offer but I'm not going to jump to conclusions. I’m just going to let God handle it and pray for the best on the 29th.”

Finally, Colorado cornerback Christian Cumber will also visit officially for Wisconsin’s game against Nebraska. UW and Michigan State are believed to be in front at this point, and the staff wouldn’t bring him in without the intention of accepting a potential commitment.

Expect a commitment in two weeks

Wisconsin will likely add its second member to the 2018 class in two weeks (Nebraska game). After speaking to the junior today, a decision will come as early as that Saturday, or at the conclusion of his season. Either way, Reggie Pearson will have company very soon.

Basketball recruiting

Wisconsin hosted the No. 5 player in the 2019 class Saturday in five-star forward Matthew Hurt. While we feel like Greg Gard and the Badgers will be in his recruitment for the long haul, we’re also hearing Hurt and family have their sights set on the blue bloods of college basketball. Kansas, Louisville and North Carolina have already offered, with Duke and Kentucky showing strong interest. We’re told the attention from the legendary coaches at those respective schools is very appealing at this point in the process.

In the same class, Nobal Days took another big step forward with the Badgers. We continue to hear how attracted Days and his parents are to the academic options at Wisconsin and as I noted before, I think he winds up a Badger when the dust settles.

In-state junior forward Joey Hauser was a late scratch (illness) from the guest list Saturday and Gard may have tipped his hat as to who the next offers at power forward could be extended to should Hauser begin to trend towards other schools.

Four-star Trevion Williams had great things to say about his visit but currently holds a big offer from the in-state Spartans.

"They are really interested in me and they want to get to know me,” Williams told BadgerBlitz.com. “Also they said they want me to keep working and they are going to stay in touch. They want to come down and visit for some workouts.

“I'm very cool with coach (Howard) Moore and the rest of the staff, they really showed me a great time."

Minnesota’s Jarvis Thomas-Omersa was also on campus this weekend and we’re told Gard personally called to invite him earlier in the week. Arizona State, Marquette, Iowa State and Oregon State have already offered the 6-foot-6, 190-pound prospect.

We're not saying Hauser has given an indication Wisconsin is slipping in his recruitment, rather that Gard is making sure his bases are covered in the event that were to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News