ADVERTISEMENT

College Football fandom

Boomer_Badger

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2008
I think the combination of the current college football product and what is expected of fans has never been worse. The game itself is slow, with never ending commercial breaks. The constant commercials ruin the stadium experience. It is a blowout sport, with the tops teams being on a completely different level than everyone else. So many non-competitive games with huge point spreads. Every roster in constant flux with player transfers, rampant tampering, and poaching of players. Not knowing many of the players because of the constant player movement.

Yet more has never been expected from fans. They are supposed to support the university by buying more expensive season tickets that always include "buy" games against lower level opponents. Then pay mandatory donations on top of the ticket cost. And then they are constantly harassed to donate more money for NIL to pay for the players, most of whom end up being busts.

Compare this to the NFL, and the entire experience is inferior. The NFL has created competitive balance, with nearly every point spread being between 0 and 9 points. The majority of games come down to the last possession. The game is faster, ending in exactly 3 hours. Most importantly, the fans are not expected to pay for tickets and also pay the players' salaries through their donations. The owners pay the players, based on a well-regulated contract and cap system.

I always was a college football fan first and foremost, but at this point, I don't really feel that way. I'm sure I'm not alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.