ADVERTISEMENT

WISCONSIN WHISPERS Edition No. 27

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
Dead Period coming to a close

Jan. 13 marks the end of the dead period for college football coaches and the Wisconsin coaching staff is set to host at least one official visitor this upcoming weekend.

Two-star cornerback Caesar Williams will be on campus as the Badgers look to fill their (likely) final spot at cornerback in this class. While the senior from Texas has a top three of UW, Indiana and SMU, we’re told Wisconsin could very well get things wrapped up this weekend if Williams receives the green light. In a previous edition of Whispers, we noted the coaches were still waiting word on a test score.

"I don't want to wait until Signing Day because I don't want to be too late," Williams told BadgerBlitz.com. "I at least want to visit the two out-of-state teams, because I've been to SMU a lot, so taking my official would be a little better and they could talk to me more."

While the staff has taken a very laid-back approach in recruiting this entire cycle, we’re told they want to tie up the loose ends in this class as soon as possible. K.J. Sails is drifting further from Wisconsin, especially with the loss of Dave Aranda, and Patrice Rene is expected to reaffirm his commitment to Rutgers. Should Williams commit, he would join a group that already includes Florida corners Ke’Shan Pennamon and Dontye Carriere-Williams.

The other position to watch closely down to stretch – to little surprise – is running back, where yet another top target (Kyle Porter) recently took the Badgers’ off his list. The four-star prospect from Katy High School (TX) is down to TCU, Arkansas and Texas. Here are a few names to watch moving forward:

Sam Brodner: Brodner appears to be the most likely candidate to earn the next offer, mainly because the staff was able to evaluate him at camp. The three-star prospect is headed to Syracuse this weekend with Illinois lined up next (Jan. 22). That would leave one final weekend (Jan. 29) for Brodner to take an official, with UW and Iowa (each has yet to offer) rounding out his top four. Both, though, would be close enough to take mid-week visits to, if necessary.

The Hawkeyes already have two tailbacks committed in 2016, so they may not be in a position to offer. “Seems kind of unlikely unless they part company with one or two guys they already have committed,” a source said. “They are at 24 commits now and really the focus for the last spot is offensive line.”

Amir Rasul: A three-star tailback currently committed to Florida State, Rasul’s name is back out there in connection with Wisconsin. During Semper Fidelis bowl practices, UW commit Dallas Jeanty was in his ear for much of the week in hopes of getting Rasul to campus as early as this weekend. While that isn’t totally out of the question, we’re hearing it likely won’t come to fruition.

“Rasul will also go on official visits to Alabama and North Carolina. He may also work in Wisconsin or USC. However, Florida State will be his last trip.”

Connell Young: An unranked back from North Carolina, Connell’s name recently came up in conversation but he tells BadgerBlitz.com he has yet to hear from the staff – clearly something that would make sense during the dead period. John Settle has connections in North Carolina, so Young, who recently picked up an offer from Syracuse, is someone to monitor down the stretch. He rushed for 2,431 yards and 27 touchdowns as a senior.

Khalil Herbert – The Florida back has been connected to Wisconsin since Antonio Williams’ decommitment this fall. He appears more than willing to wait for a potential scholarship from the Badgers as the clock ticks closer to Signing Day on Feb. 3.

Rakocevic having big senior season

After a subpar spring and summer on the AAU circuit, long-time Wisconsin target and unsigned senior Nick Rakocevic is putting together a very solid senior season at St. Joseph’s in Illinois.

The 6-foot-11, 210-pound power forward, who was recently nominated for the McDonald’s All-American game, continues to hear from the Badgers, along with Miami, Indiana and North Carolina, among other schools.

Rakocevic tells me that he has yet to set up any official visits but would like to make a decision at the end of his season, possibly in late March. The addition of Howard Moore, who has strong connections in Illinois, could also help UW late should Greg Gard elect to turn up the heat.

One final piece of information that could aide Wisconsin and the other schools in pursuit is Illinois’ recent exit from his recruitment. The in-state Illini, according to Rivals.com writer Kedric Price, recently backed away from Rakocevic.

But with every available athlete from the 2016 class, the future at head coach will be a hurdle for the Badgers. Gard’s fate may not be known until April, at the earliest, putting Wisconsin in a difficult recruiting position with a high-profile prospect such as Rakocevic, who has taken one official visit so far to West Virginia.

Harrison taking his time

Malik Harrison’s offer from Ohio State in early December was supposed to be a game-changer. So why does the three-star prospect from the Buckeye State remain uncommitted? And why is he waiting to make his decision on Signing Day?

We don’t have specific answers to those questions, but we do know that Ohio State is still very much the favorite to secure his commitment. Crazier things have happened, but Harrison, who was believed to be favoring the Badgers prior to OSU’s offer, is expected to stay in Ohio.

Herro favoring Wisconsin

Gard’s first offer as head coach of the Badgers was to in-state guard Tyler Herro from the 2018 class. The Whitnall standout is currently averaging just under 26 points per game and has his team off to a 9-2 record.

Getting a chance to see him live again Friday evening, I spoke with a few people close to his recruitment. Nothing shocking here, but the Badgers are out in front for his services, I was told. The only thing standing in the way of an early commitment is the future of Gard as head coach. Should he be hired long term by athletic director Barry Alvarez, there’s a very good chance Herro commits to UW, though he may elect to play out the AAU season.

Another bit of information was Herro’s preference to play with AAU teammate and fellow 2018 standout Jordan McCabe at the next level. The two certainly aren’t presenting themselves as a package deal, but a strong relationship exists between the Playground Warriors’ teammates.

Rand playing the waiting game

While UCLA remains the top threat to Wisconsin for four-star defensive lineman Garrett Rand, we’re told that a number of schools from across the country are making a late push.

The Badgers, however, feel good about their chances to hang onto Rand’s commitment once they are able to name their defensive coordinator. Should UW stay with a 3-4 scheme –- which it is expected to do -- under a proven coordinator, it’s highly likely Rand signs with Wisconsin.

"I'm still committed as of now. I would just like to know who the next defensive coordinator will be," Rand told Rivals.com at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. "I mean, I don't know if people are making a big deal of it, but I would like to know who it is.

"Scheme matters and I don't want someone that is inexperienced and doesn't know what they're doing. I want someone that has been in the game for a while and has had success in his scheme. I'm confident they'll get a good one, so I'm committed to Wisconsin."

2017 in-state class

Jake Ferguson was the first prospect in the 2017 in-state class to receive an offer from the Badgers. The grandson of Barry Alvarez, it’s likely only a matter of time before Paul Chryst receives his commitment.

Looking at other potential offers from that class, we’re told to keep a close eye on Port Washington’s Tyler Beach and De Pere’s Aaron Vopal. Both are scholarship candidates as Wisconsin begins preparation for junior days later this winter.

Beach, a 6-foot-6, 270-pound offensive tackle, has early offers from Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan and Bowling Green. Vopal, a 6-foot-7, 250-pound lineman, has been offered by Buffalo and New Mexico. He can play on either side of the ball but may projected best to offensive tackle.

The Badgers currently have one commitment in the junior class from four-star lineman Kayden Lyles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News