ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 8 In-state Blitz: Menomonee Falls junior Julius Davis

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
Video: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/week-8-in-state-blitz-2019-rb-julius-davis-from-menomonee-falls

Strengths:

I'm pretty high on Julius Davis after keeping tabs on him this fall and watching him live for the first time last night. A 6-foot, 190-pound workhorse, Davis is, in my opinion, the most talented running back in the state outside of the Henry Geil. And even then, I think you could make a case for Davis, who is hearing from Iowa, Northern Illinois and South Dakota State early in the process.

He's a kid who can run between the tackles and also break big plays on the outside. What really caught my eye was the one-cut bursts Davis made at the line of scrimmage a handful of times. Once he gets into the open field, he's tough to bring down. I think he would have broken off a few more plays had the field not been so slick (rain) last evening.

I think Davis displayed good vision and also proved to be a decent receiving threat in Menomonee Falls' offense. He's not a bruiser, but he moves the pile forward and fights for those extra yards. He reported to me a 4.6 40-yard dash. If he can run in the low 4.5 range at camps this summer, Davis could blow up. His production this year also comes with teams putting eight guys in the box against him. Falls is a very run-oriented team.

Davis told me he was limited in the camps he attended this summer after "I broke a piece of my growth plate in my hip" during track. That could explain why he's just starting to get exposure on the recruiting front.

Areas of improvement:

There were times when Davis was getting the handoff and hitting the hole almost too quickly. I think he'll learn to slow down just a bit and let plays develop more, particularly at that first level. He'll be able to get a little stronger in the hips and thighs as his body develops as well.

Outlook:

Tailback is one position where Wisconsin can go after top talent from across the country, so Davis will have to compete with an elite talent poll if he wants to earn an offer from the Badgers. He mentioned there hasn't been any contact thus far. But with Chris James and Taiwan Deal both heading into their senior seasons next fall - and Sam Brodner coming off a serious injury - there's a chance UW could go after two scholarship tailbacks in the 2019 class.

Wisconsin comparison on current roster:

Not saying he's going to be Jonathan Taylor - again, I'm not projecting him to be the best freshman running back in the Big Ten - but the two have some similarities in terms of body makeup and running style.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited:
Reactions: tosaproud51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News