ADVERTISEMENT

I get the love for Gard

Super Badger

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2003
Pacific Northwest
There are lots of reasons to like him and why he would be a good fit and easy transition. First off, I wouldn't want to be him because he is replacing a legend.....that is a very tough thing to do. What if he doesn't finish in the top 4 of the league the first couple of years??? He'll get roasted.

Then there's the can he run the program like Bo? My assertion 100% is NO. Bo is an unbelievably unique talent and personality and Gard is different. If he tries to run Bo's system, he just won't do it the same, whatever subtleties and I'm telling you he'll not be successful with that route (especially in the eyes of the fans and the all important media). If he is, there is no precedent for it and he would be the first. Hank Raymonds couldn't fill Al's shoes, Bill Guthridge couldn't fill Dean's shoes and I can't remember who tried to fill the Wizard of Westwood's shoes and he didn't succeed.

Maybe Gard is a good coach, I just can't see him running Bo's system as effectively as Bo which will be lowering the expectations of the program and I don't want that. The coaching search process deserves right to find the next Bo Ryan with his OWN system, not Bo's.

Reactions: WheelerG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News