ADVERTISEMENT

The real reason for Bielema and Andersen leaving Wisconsin?

B_U_C_K_Y

Jul 17, 2011
Bret Bielema in six years won 68 games and won three B1G titles, but received a 600k raise once leaving for Arkansas, a job many would consider not even on the same level as Wisconsin. A big reason Bielema supposedly left was because of the lack of funds for his coaching staff. Once Paul Chryst took the Pittsburgh job and Dave Doeren took the NC State job, Bielema's staff was gutted as those guys took others with them as their own assistants. Why doesn't Barry Alvarez pays his coaches? Why doesn't Wisconsin have an assistant ranked higher than No. 77 in the nation in current annual salary this year, according to the most recent USA Today database? There's no cap on spending for coaches, which makes it the one commodity in which schools with title aspirations should never get thrifty.

In 2011, Wisconsin spent 204k on recruiting expenses, 2012 they spent 212k, and 2013 they spent 256k on recruiting expenses. Tennessee in 2012-2013 averaged 1.3 million dollars for recruiting expenses and yet Tennessee is surrounded by much more talent than Wisconsin. Did I mention the Badgers were #2 in college football this year in athletic department revenue? They have the money to spend and are not doing it.

In two years at Wisconsin, Gary Andersen was 19-7 and won the B1G West this season, giving them an opportunity for a B1G title. As I mentioned before, his top assistant ranks 77th in the nation in salary. That's ridiculous for a team with such a winning culture. Andersen leaves Wisconsin for a dump at Corvallis, Oregon... a school that would be comparable to Starksville, Mississippi. Oregon State is not a step up from Wisconsin. Just read some articles on the best college towns in America and you'll see Madison, Wisconsin is always in the top ten.

This move just blows my mind. Who's to blame for this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT