ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 1 In-State Blitz: 2023 ATH Zander Rockow

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO:
STRENGTHS

In a game that featured a handful of intriguing athletes from Kenosha Bradford, Eau Claire Regis junior Zander Rockow was the best player on the field Friday evening. Listed at 6-foot-1 (he’s probably closer to 6-foot) and 217 pounds, Rockow rushed for two touchdowns and also impacted the game on the defensive side of the ball.

As a wing or slotback in Regis’ power attack, Rockow is a tough yet agile runner between the tackles. He’s patient with good vision and nice footwork as he goes through the trenches. And while he’s not a burner, Rockow is deceptively quick and can bounce out to the edges in order to move the chains. With the ball in his hands, the pile just moved forward as Regis chipped its way down the field against the Red Devils.

On defense, Rockow played with his hand in the ground as an end. He displayed a nice burst off the ball and caused disruption in the backfield a handful of times. He’s a physical athlete who moves pretty well from sideline to sideline, though we didn’t get to see that too often Friday. Rockow is a sure tackler who took proper angles in pursuit of the football.

REMAINING QUESTIONS

Rockow likely projects best on the defensive side of the ball, but he plays out of position for Regis, a Division 6 or 7 program. And while Rockow is productive from that spot, I would have liked to have seen him play linebacker in order to get a better evaluation. That’s not a knock on the Regis coaches, however, who are using Rockow based on the makeup of their current roster.

As a linebacker, I’m confident Rockow can fight off blocks and clean up what’s in front of him. I also have no doubt about his strength and ability in the weight room. But I’m curious about his ability to drop into coverage and pick up backs or tight ends in the pass game. That’s likely one of the biggest question marks for programs as they contemplate a potential offer this fall. And while his testing numbers are strong, is he flexible with quick-twitch characteristics, or is he just a straight-line tackler who lacks that elite bend and burst/change of direction as a linebacker? I don’t know if those questions will be answered this fall.

OUTLOOK/RECRUITMENT

On the recruiting front, Rockow has been in steady contact with Wisconsin, and he’ll be on campus for the Badgers’ opener against Penn State. Iowa, Minnesota and Wyoming, among others, are also involved early on. No other visits have been set this fall, according to Rockow. My post-game interview was cut short by his head coach, who said his players are not able to talk to the media during the season...

If we’re projecting Rockow to play middle linebacker - which is where I think he fits best - there could be two or three scholarships available in the 2023 class, especially if Wisconsin doesn’t take a player at the position in the current senior cycle. So far on the inside, the Badgers have an offer out to Tyler Jansey, who they saw at camp this summer. Rockow also camped with the Badgers in June but worked exclusively at running back, which I thought was odd. With that, fullback could be on the table at the next level, but I think his ceiling is higher at linebacker.

“It went well,” Rockow told me this summer. “They had me working with the running backs. Coach (Taylor) Mehlhaff said that Coach (Gary) Brown really liked me and they said they are going to meet and have a discussion about things and then get back to me. They also told me they plan to have me down next fall for a game.”

As far as a potential Wisconsin scholarship, I didn’t walk away Friday evening thinking Rockow was a no-brainer. But I do think he’s a player in the 2023 class who UW is going to take a very long look at. At this point, though, there’s no hurry to make a move.

WISCONSIN COMPARISON ON THE CURRENT ROSTER

Again, tough to get a good comparison with Rockow playing on the defensive line. But based on his body structure, Rockow resembles Bryan Sanborn, another compact and physical middle linebacker for the Badgers. Sanborn, whoever, is likely an inch or two taller with a longer wingspan.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News