ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 2 in-state Blitz: 2020 TE/DE Cole Dakovich

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/week-2-in-state-blitz-2020-wisconsin-commit-cole-dakovich

Strengths: Size and athletic ability are two things that clearly stand out with Cole Dakovich, who was listed Friday at 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds. He played a lot snaps at both tight end and defensive end and was a big reason why Memorial came out with a 41-21 victory. Getting to see him up close and personal, he certainly passes the eye-ball test as well.

On defense, Dakovich got to the quarterback at times and was able to disrupt the play in the backfield. Central didn't run his way a ton but when it did, Dakovich was usually in the mix. At tight end, I thought Dakovich looked a bit more comfortable motioning in the backfield, blocking and running routes. He had just one catch on the evening but was effective in the run game. Memorial has a really good stable of receivers who were targeted far more often, so Dakovich and Purdue commit Ben Kreul are used more as blockers in the Crusaders' attack.

Areas of improvement: The first thing to lay out on the table is that this is only Dakovich's second year of high school football, so he hasn't played as much in comparison to many of the other Division 1 prospects in his class. With that, he is also learning a new position (defensive end) this fall after working at outside linebacker in 2018. Just Week 2 of the season, Dakovich is still getting comfortable playing with his hand in the ground. The move was likely due to his body development, Memorial's depth at linebacker and the loss of two projected starters on the defensive line - JC Latham to IMG Academy in Florida and Cam Done to Milwaukee King - this off-season.

In a three-man front, Dakovich took on a lot of blockers throughout the course of the game. Memorial won pretty comfortably, but Central has good players on both sides of the ball and is well coached. That said, Dakovich got moved around on some plays and, like all high schoolers, is going to need to get stronger before he's ready to play at Wisconsin. Central didn't sit in the pocket and pass much, but I also thought Dakovich could have used his length more by getting his arms in the air to disrupt vision and passing lanes.

As a tight end, Dakovich is still getting comfortable there as well. He's a willing blocker but needs to stay engaged and finish blocks more effectively. He's also a decent route runner but is still working on consistently catching the football as well. After watching him Friday, I think he's more similar than his is different in comparison to tight end Cam Large, who is also committed to the Badgers in the 2020 class.

Outlook/Recruitment: The question at this time last year: Will Dakovich stay at outside linebacker in college or grow into a defensive end? Well, now we're continuing to project what his body will look like in a few years as a future tight end in Madison. Having seen him around this time of the year as both a junior and now as a senior, Dakovich has really filled out. He's not a guy that is going to need to put on a ton of weight in college; rather, the staff may have to monitor his development in that department if they want him to stay at tight end. I don't think he's going to grow into an offensive tackle for the Badgers, but Dakovich can probably play comfortably in the 255- to 260-pound range. With that, he may project more as an in-line tight end for the Badgers, maybe someone in the mold of Zander Neuville.

Wisconsin comparison on current roster: This was a difficult one. From a pure high school standpoint, Dakovich looked a little bit like Luke Benzschawel (again, in high school) because of his length and athletic ability. Dakovich, though, is an inch or two shorter and more filled out at this stage in the game, in comparison.

Because of the size and athleticism, you also think about Jake Ferguson (currently listed at 6-foot-5 and 246 pounds) and what he looks like now. I think Ferguson was the better athlete in high school but Dakovich isn't too far behind. Both were/are good basketball players at their respective schools.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News