ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 2 In-State Blitz: 2022 Quarterback Myles Burkett

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/week-2-in-state-blitz-2022-franklin-qb-myles-burkett

STRENGTHS

This wasn’t Myles Burkett’s most eye-popping game on the stat sheet. A week after throwing for over 400 yards and three touchdowns, the junior quarterback completed 16 of 24 attempts for 173 yards and one score through the air in a 28-6 win over Kenosha Indian Trail.

A lot of Burkett’s pass attempts were shorter routes in the flats, and this was very much by design. Indian Trail has a strong defensive backfield and sat with two high safeties for much of the evening. With that, Franklin chose to attack the sidelines with screens and quick passes to tight end Marko Rajkovic, who had a team-high eight receptions for 78 yards. When Burkett did throw over the middle - opened up nicely by play action - there were three or four drops that could have made the final score look very different.

Burkett’s ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down may be his biggest strength, in my opinion, and I like how his eyes stay down field even when he’s scrambling. But his skillset as a passer is just as strong. Burkett has crisp footwork, throws an accurate and catchable ball, and also goes through his reads rather than focusing on just one option after the snap. He may not have the arm strength of Deacon Hill, but Burkett can get the ball down field accurately.

Finally, I liked how Burkett stayed within the game plan against ITA. The attempts of 25-plus yards were less in comparison to last week against Kenosha Bradford, but Franklin was in charge for all four quarters in Week 2. That wasn’t the case in Week 1.

AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT

Again, Burkett’s stat line looks much different if three or four of his longer attempts were caught Friday night. A week ago, I would have written about decision making after he tossed three interceptions. But reflecting on his performance Friday, he improved on that quite a bit. There were a few times he pressed on third down and didn’t take what was right in front of him. But from Week 1 to Week 2, I thought Burkett improved in that department.

OUTLOOK/RECRUITMENT

With Devin Brown off the board to USC, it will be very interesting to see who Jon Budmayr offers next in the 2022 class. It may not to be just one prospect; rather, Wisconsin’s quarterbacks coach could hand out scholarships to a few prospects if there is no clear-cut No. 1 on his current board.

As far as where Burkett sits with the Badgers, Budmayr has definitely been in contact since Brown’s commitment. The two have had productive conversations that make me believe a scholarship is a very real possibility down the road, especially at this stage in the quarterback recruiting process for prospects in the 2022 class. There haven’t been a ton of commitments at QB across the country just yet, but the top-tier guys already have established relationships with the contenders in their respective recruitments.

Central Michigan and Northern Illinois have extended offers to Burkett. Washington, Louisville and Syracuse, among others, are also showing strong interest at this point. In my opinion, it’s only a matter of time before a Power 5 school pulls the trigger on a scholarship.

WISCONSIN COMPARISON ON THE CURRENT ROSTER

Chase Wolf
(6-foot-1, 197 pounds) is a pretty easy comparison here. There are a lot of similarities between the two athletes, who can both can make plays with their feet and arm. Budmayr saw something in Wolf that he really liked in the 2018 class, and it will be interesting if he sees those same qualities in Burkett.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News