ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 3 In-state Blitz: 2020 four-star OL Trey Wedig

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/week-3-in-state-blitz-2020-four-star-offensive-lineman-trey-wedig

Strengths:
Trey Wedig, who was listed Friday night at 6-foot-7 and 302 pounds, certainly passes the eye-ball test. He played right tackle for Kettle Moraine, which really pushed the tempo by running a lot of no-huddle against Waukesha North. After watching a handful of plays, the first thing that jumped out to me was how athletic Wedig was for a kid his size. He was able to bend and drive defenders in the run game and also showed good lateral movement in pass protection against quicker edge rushers. I also thought he used his length really well and didn't reach a ton - rather, he allowed himself to get in proper position to make the necessary block.

After watching the film again, I was thinking back to the other in-state tackles I've seen over the years. I don't go as far back as Josh Oglesby and Jake Bscherer, two prospects who were roughly the same size, but I have seen Jaden Gault, Jacob Maxwell, Cole Van Lanen, Jon Dietzen, Tyler Beach and a handful of others. In comparison to Gault, Beach and Maxwell, I think Wedig is a better athlete and more fluid than each. In comparison to Van Lanen, Wedig is taller and probably has a longer wingspan. Van Lanen probably moved just a bit better and may have been a little stronger, but it's close.

I also like that Wedig has a little nasty to him. When he engages, he's looking to drive someone into the ground. I also thought he transitioned from level to level very well, and there were a handful of plays where he moved a defensive lineman out of the way and then went on to a linebacker. That's something you don't see a lot of (at least done effectively) at the high school level. Finally, I wrote in my notes that Wedig "doesn't struggle with speed." North sent some pressure/blitzes his way and Wedig both recognized those and was able to use his body to negate any edge pressure.

Areas of improvement: You always talk about kids getting stronger, and Wedig isn't an exception to that. But for a junior in high school, he's a strong kid who can finish off blocks. In pass protection, I think he could improve his initial punch and balance, which is something Joe Rudolph really works a ton on during practice at Wisconsin. Sometimes Wedig would "wind/gear up" to strike a defender, something that should be replaced by a quick, balanced punch.

Outlook: Wedig is a four-star prospect and the top in-stater in the 2020 class. He looks great at 6-foot-7 and 300 pounds and isn't carrying bad weight. At the college level, I think he easily plays in the 320-325 range, depending on what the staff wants his body to look like.

Recruiting-wise, it sounds like this will come down to Wisconsin and Notre Dame. In the end, I think Wedig stays inside the state, which would give the Badgers another in-state tackle to pair with Jack Nelson. I'm excited to get out and see Nelson play so I can compare the two.

Wisconsin comparison on current roster: The first player who pops into your head is David Edwards, who is listed this year at 6-foot-7 and 315 pounds. Length-wise, that may be an appropriate comparison, but I actually think Wedig is more similar to Beau Benzschawel in terms of his body. I don't think Wedig projects to guard at the next level, but I think he's more Benzschawel than he is Edwards. Please feel free to disagree.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News