ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 3 in-state Blitz: 2020 Wisconsin commit Chimere Dike

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/w...2020-wisconsin-badgers-wr-commit-chimere-dike

STRENGTHS

While watching Chimere Dike play Friday night, I was thinking about a quote his head coach, Matt Harris, gave me after the three-star wide receiver’s commitment in January.

“If he could play seven sports he could probably be all-conference in all seven. He loves competing and no matter he's doing, he's one of the most competitive guys we have."

Dike, 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds, has to be one of the top overall athletes in the state (also plays basketball, track and baseball at North). During a 35-13 win over Waukesha South, Dike worked at receiver, tailback, safety and returned punts and kicks for the Northstars. For good reason, Dike has been double- and even tripled-teamed through three weeks of play. Friday, he played a few series at tailback in the second half and found the end zone twice from that position. Though he lacked experience in the backfield, Dike looked very comfortable running the football and made a big impact for North from that spot.

As a receiver, his future position at Wisconsin, Dike is a solid route runner with outstanding hands. He has game-changing speed with the ball in his hands and is one of the few players who can take it to the house at any time. What separates Dike, though, is his ability to create separation from the defensive backs he’s up against. In the first offensive possession of the game for North (first clip on the film above), Dike is facing single coverage and absolutely blows past South’s cornerback. After that, the Blackshirts were forced to play a safety over the top all evening.

Often times, Dike lined up alone with two or three receivers on the other side of the field in North's spread attack. This is where he appears to be most comfortable, but Dike can stretch the field and make plays from just about any offensive spot. I think he's best lined out wide, but Dike can also motion into the slot and make plays over the middle, as needed.

AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT

Dike is a willing blocker in the run game, something Ted Gilmore will appreciate when he gets him on campus next summer. But there are some things he can clean up in that department in terms of technique. From a pure receiver standpoint, I’m not sure how much I can offer as far as criticism. There will certainly be a learning curve when Dike jumps to the next level, but he’s as impressive of a receiver prospect that I can remember from inside the state over the last 10-plus years.

OUTLOOK/RECRUITMENT

Committed to Wisconsin since January, there isn’t much to discuss in the recruiting department. Dike is scheduled to be on campus Saturday and will likely try and help the Badgers add James Thompson and Isaac Smith to UW’s 2020 class. Additionally, Dike, like Cole Dakovich mentioned a week ago, was quick to say Kaden Johnson is a huge remaining target for the coaching staff.

In terms of his outlook at Wisconsin, Dike will be in that next wave of talent at the receiver position after the graduation of A.J. Taylor (this season), Kendric Pryor, Quintez Cephus, Danny Davis, Jack Dunn and Adam Krumholz after the 2020 season. With that, Dike should have a great chance at early playing time after his first year on campus.

WISCONSIN COMPARISON ON THE CURRENT ROSTER

Because of his size and big-play ability, Dike reminds me a bit of Pryor. With that, I could see the Badgers use him in a similar fashion; an athlete who can move all over the field and make plays in a number of different ways (jet sweeps, special teams, etc.).

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News