ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 3 in-state Blitz: Milwaukee King sophomores Jerry Cross and Cam Done

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO:

STRENGTHS

Cross: Walking into Milwaukee’s South Stadium Thursday afternoon, I didn’t need an official roster to identify Jerry Cross, who looked all of 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds. Just a sophomore, Cross has to be one of the more physically gifted in-state prospects in his class. He has long arms, moves well for his size and displayed good hands in both warm-ups and the blow-out win over Bradley Tech. Cross moves well in space and has some wiggle in his hips, which you can see on tape. He’s also an excellent red-zone option for King, which improved to 3-0 on the season. Watching Cross move around at that size, he just looks like an athlete you see on SEC rosters.

Done:
After contributing on Catholic Memorial’s state title team as a freshman, Done is now one of the top players on King’s roster as a sophomore. Playing defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, Done, listed at 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds, has a very explosive first step. He’s strong at point of attack, has long arms and is pretty good against the run. Like Cross, Done is more physically developed in comparison to most in-state prospects in the 2022 class.

AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT

Cross: For as special as he is physically and athletically, Cross is still very raw at this point in his career. He’s a willing blocker, but he struggled at times with his technique in that department. Cross also played a lot of tight end on Thursday, and he’s still learning how to play that position as well. That said, the sky's the limit if he continues to get stronger and develop.

Done:
One thing that really stood out when watching Done was his tendency to stand right up at the line of scrimmage. As I said above, he has great burst off the ball but that momentum is lost at times because Done gives up leverage and allows himself to be be blocked. Right now, Done also relies almost exclusively on his strength to get into the backfield. Once he starts to incorporate some moves and technique into his skill-set, I think you’ll see him take another big step forward. I’d also like to see a more consistent effort, because Done has the ability - especially in the City Conference - to disrupt the opposing offense on every snap he’s involved in.

OUTLOOK/RECRUITMENT

Cross: I’d be surprised if we’re talking about Cross playing wide receiver in a year or two. At the high school level it’s certainly an option, but in college, tight end seems more realistic. That said, some people who are more familiar with Cross said that defensive end could also be a possibility, though he didn’t take any snaps on that side of the ball Thursday.

Recruiting-wise, Cross said Iowa, Northern Illinois and UNLV have been in touch early on. He’s on Wisconsin’s radar as well, and I would imagine a handful of other schools across the Midwest begin to reach out once they see his sophomore tape.

Done: Like Cross, it will be interesting to see how Done’s body develops over the next two years. Right now, he plays end in King’s 3-4 scheme, and that could very well be his projected position at the next level. There’s also a chance, though, that Done continues to add weight, which would allow him to bump inside and play tackle.

Done visited Wisconsin last year on a trip with JC Latham and a few other Catholic Memorial kids. He had Badgers’ gloves and a towel on during the game, and Done said he’s hoping to hear more from UW over the next few months. Iowa, Michigan State and Notre Dame, among others, are involved early on.

WISCONSIN COMPARISON ON THE CURRENT ROSTER

This category is pretty tough because these two have so much more football ahead of them. But Done could look like Isaiah Mullens down the road - someone who plays on the edge but could also move inside if necessary. I’m going to hold off with Cross because I just don’t know where he winds up. For now, though, I’ll say that I can’t think of another sophomore from inside the state - outside of Latham from one year ago - who is as intriguing at such a young age.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News