ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 4 In-state Blitz: 2019 Wisconsin offeree Da'Shaun Brown

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/week-4-in-state-blitz-2019-ath-da-shaun-brown

Strengths:

Speed and ability with the ball in his hands. Brown is a big-time playmaker who could project to a handful of positions: QB, WR, CB, S, returns. Not sure if he'd be a fit in Paul Chryst's pro-style offense, but Brown throws it well enough to keep that option on the table. He's got a great feel in the pocket, good footwork and a big arm. That said, I think he'd also have a lot of success as a receiver or someone you can move all over the field.

If you project him to defense, corner makes sense. I'd be curious what his 40-time is, but he's been - hands down - the fastest kid of the field the past two weeks that I saw him play. Not sure how willing of a tackler he is, so corner also makes sense in that regard, though free safety isn't a huge reach. He's really raw on defense right now, though, so he'd certainly have to be coached up to play in the secondary.

Areas of improvement:

Offensively, there's not much to critique. With the ability to run for a first down every snap, I think Brown makes the appropriate read on most plays. He also doesn't try to force too much, which is a big plus. Defensively - as noted - he's very raw. He's not a great tackler, which can be attributed to lack of experience. And he didn't take a ton of reps at corner, so it's hard to provide an in-depth take.

Outlook:

The thing that stands out to me about Brown (who I have been hearing about since he was in 7th grade) is how unique he is as an in-state player, which is the reason I think he was the first 2019 kid to receive on offer from Wisconsin. Off the top of my head, the last two legit D1 corners from inside the state were Trae Waynes and Eric Murray - both of whom played in the Big Ten. So when those kind of players come about, you have to keep them inside the state. Minnesota, Iowa and Notre Dame are also in contact with Brown at this point.

Wisconsin comparison on current roster:

Because he plays quarterback in high school, my comparison here is Zack Baun, who was also under center during his prep career. Now, I fully understand that Baun was a taller/bigger athlete and that Brown will definitely not wind up at linebacker, but that's what I see based off his play at QB. Both Baun (in high school) and Brown had/have a chance to score a touchdown on every single offensive snap. There's not too many players you can say that about.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News