ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Week 6 In-state Blitz: Port Washington juniors Jacob Lippe and Deron Spicer

Jon McNamara

Administrator
Nov 14, 2006
Wisconsin
VIDEO: https://wisconsin.rivals.com/news/w...juniors-lippe-and-spicer-from-port-washington

Strengths:

It's important to note from the very start that Jacob Lippe and Deron Spicer - both of whom took visits to Wisconsin last fall - play every snap on both sides of the ball and in the return game on special teams. One of the biggest questions I had throughout the contest was just how productive they could be working only at their natural positions - Lippe at WR and Spicer at RB. But because of their talent, they also play DB and LB, respectively.

At 6-foot-3 and 185 pounds, Lippe is definitely a kid to watch. He's an ultra-productive wide out who runs crisp routes and catches everything thrown to him. The big question could be his speed and how that translates to the next level. Lippe is faster than he is quick, but he has ideal size and a knack for getting open. Friday night, Slinger was shading a safety over the top on his side and Lippe still had no problem getting open. Maybe not an elite athlete but good enough.

With Spicer (6-foot, 185 pounds) he's a between the tackles runner who is pretty powerful for his size. He looks much more natural on offense than he is at linebacker, though I do feel he is playing a bit out of position there as more of a defensive end. There were a few times we saw some good cuts and vision from Spicer, but Slinger did a good job to limit his production.

Areas of improvement:

With Lippe - as I said above - I think it comes down to speed. Not sure what he ran at any of the camps he attended this summer, but if he can clock in the high 4.5 (40-yard dash) to low 4.6 range, Wisconsin is going to give him a very serious look. I know he's a kid who the Badgers already like quite a bit.

***UPDATE: Lippe just messaged to say he ran a 4.72

I think Spicer is a Division 1 player, but I'm not sure if he's quite at the FBS just yet. That said, he's putting forth a ton of effort on defense and I'd love to see what he could do with some rest between series. Friday night, I didn't see the breakaway speed in his game.

Outlook:

At this point - from a Wisconsin recruiting perspective - I like Lippe a bit more. You've got some speedsters committed in the 2018 class, so a possession receiver with Lippe's size could be a nice compliment in the 2019 class. As far as Spicer, he's going to attract some D1 interest, but I think the best in-state back in the junior cycle - at least right now - is Julius Davis from Menomonee Falls. I plan to get out to see him in two weeks.

Still a ways to go with both, though.

Wisconsin comparison on current roster:

As far as a running-style comparison with Spicer, I think he's most similar to Chris James. Not saying he will be Chris James, but that's the best comparison on the roster.

With Lippe, I truly don't see a proper comparison on the current roster. Maybe he grows into a tight end/H-back? In terms of size, Nick Toon and Reggie Love come to mind, but they are different players.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News