ADVERTISEMENT

Toughness

grangedog

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2006
In a 22 year stretch between 1995 and 2017 Wisconsin had 16 first round picks, and 10 second round picks. In the following 7 drafts the Badgers have had 1 second round pick (JT). Other than Ramcyzk and TJ Watt all of the 1st and second rounders from 1995-2017 were recruited by Barry Alverez and Bielema…tough guys…who resonated with tough kids. Neither guy was known for being a super recruiter according to the dumb star system we all take as the gospel. But they brought in really tough kids. I always thought both Anderson and Chryst couldn’t connect with tough kids and/or identify tough kids the way Barry and Bielema did.
Which is why I was excited about the Fickell hire. Ex Defensive tackle, ex wrestler…we would be back to finding and landing tough kids. And playing a tough brand of football with the creativeness of the 21st century. Yet what does Fickell do??? Hires an air raid o coordinator, and a 2 down linemen front defensive coordinator. Finesse on both sides of the ball. This is a giant mismatch with who Fickell is, as well as a mismatch of the high school talent that is close to Wisconsin.
None of us are college football coaches but even us novices intuitively know
1. You need some plays under center for short yardage
2. You need to play more than 2 down linemen on short yardage defensive possessions
3. A great running game is complemented by play action
4. You need to run plays both inside and outside
5. It is hard for LBs to make plays at or behind the line of scrimmage if there are not defensive linemen occupying blockers
6. TEs should be a huge part of the passing game.
7. If you insist on running RPO, then your qb MUST run some of the time to keep the defense honest.

I watched the Packers run the ball 60 times against the Colts in a myriad of formations, and a myriad of motions. Playing running football does not have to be boring and predictable. It just takes good coaching.
I am not being an alarmist but I feel Fickell needs to do what Harbaugh did at Michigan. The coordinators are not fits for this school. He has to find better. And he has to instill the toughness back to this program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.